|Born||Peter Arthur Firmin
11 December 1928
|Occupation||Artist, puppet maker (illustrator)|
Peter Arthur Firmin (born 11 December 1928) is an English artist and puppet maker. He was the founder of Smallfilms, along with Oliver Postgate. Between them they created a number of popular children's TV programmes, The Saga of Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine, Clangers, Bagpuss and Pogles' Wood.
It was while he was teaching at the Central School of Art that Oliver Postgate came looking for, as Firmin puts it: "…someone to illustrate a television story – someone who was hard up and would do a lot of drawing for very little money". They immediately 'clicked' and subsequently formed Smallfilms.
Most of Smallfilms' animation was produced in a farmyard barn in Blean near Canterbury in Kent. Firmin is an illustrator. He has written and illustrated two main books and illustrated many others including Seeing Things, Postgate's autobiography.
Firmin, having retired from TV production, now produces engravings and linocuts.
In 1994, Firmin provided an illustration for a British postage stamp, SG1804, featuring characters from Noggin the Nog. It was one of a set featuring characters from British children's literature. He produced further illustrations for the advertising campaign to publicise the stamps.
Firmin is married to Joan, who knitted the Clangers from vibrant pink wool.
- Seeing Things: An Autobiography, Oliver Postgate; illustrated by Peter Firmin, 2000 - ISBN 0-330-39000-7
- The Midsummer Notebook of a Country Rat, Peter Firmin 1983 ISBN 0-7182-2601-1
- The Winter Diary of a Country Rat, Peter Firmin 1981 ISBN 0-7182-2541-4
- Tricks & Tales, Peter Firmin 1982 ISBN 0-7182-2600-3
- Peter Firmin, Dragons' Friendly Society.
- "Saggy old cloth cat pulls in the crowds". Canterbury Adscene (Kent Regional News and Media). 2007-11-09. pp. 4–5.
- "Stamps and First Day Cover". Smallfilms website. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "Noggin the Nog Memorabilia – stamps". Northlands (Neil Jones). 1997–2003. Retrieved 2009-09-23.
- "Bagpuss co-creator Peter Firmin's freedom of Canterbury". BBC News. 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2011-06-08.
- "Bagpuss co-creator Peter Firmin gets Bafta honour". BBC News. 11 November 2014. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Article from Something about the Author (Volume 58) about Peter Firmin
- Official website
- The Smallfilms Treasury
- The Dragons' Friendly Society