Type of site
|Alexa rank||3,906 (As of April 2014[update])|
Medscape is a website providing access to medical information for clinicians and the general public. The organization also provides continuing education for physicians and health professionals. It features medical journal articles, CME (Continuing Medical Education), a version of the National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE database, medical news, and drug information (Medscape Drug Reference, or MDR). Content is free of charge for professionals and others. but registration is required.
In February 1999, medical editor George D. Lundberg was hired as the editor-in-chief of Medscape. For 17 years prior to joining Medscape he had served as Editor of the Journal of the American Medical Association. In September of that year, Medscape, Inc. went public and began trading on NASDAQ under the symbol MSCP.
In May 2000, Medscape merged with MedicaLogic, Inc., another public company. MedicaLogic filed for bankruptcy within 18 months and sold Medscape to WebMD in December 2001.
In 2008, Lundberg was terminated by WebMD. The following year, it was announced that no new articles would be accepted for the Medscape Journal of Medicine, a Medscape journal that Lundberg started in 1999.
- "Medscape.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Romaine, M; Zatz, S; Brown, K; Lundberg, GD (2009). "So long but not farewell: The Medscape Journal of Medicine (1999-2009)". Medscape Journal of Medicine. 11 (1): 33. Retrieved 21 February 2009. (Registration required (. ))
- Dolan, Brian (21 June 2009). "WebMD Launches Medscape CME app for iPhone". mobihealthnews. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Einerson, Brett (7 January 2011). "The most popular iPhone medical app, Medscape, is now on Android". iMedicalApps. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Oransky, Ivan (31 January 2009). "RIP: The Medscape Journal of Medicine, an open-access pioneer, stops publishing new papers". Scientific American.
- Frishauf, Peter. "Medscape — The First Five Years". Medscape. (Registration required (. ))
- Lundberg, George D. "The First 10 Years of Medscape, 1995-2005: From Delusion Through Vision to a Culture" (video editorial). Medscape. (Registration required (. ))