Peter Goodrich is a Professor of Law and Director of Law and Humanities at the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. He is the managing editor of Law and Literature and serves on the editorial board of Law and Critique. He is co-editor of the critical legal studies book series 'Discourses of Law' published by Routledge. Peter Goodrich was one of the founding academic staff in the Birkbeck Law School.
Goodrich has been at Cardozo Law School since 2000 and teaches courses in Contracts, Jurisprudence, Film and Law, and Gender and Law. He obtained his LL.B. in 1975 from the University of Sheffield and his Ph.D. in 1984 from the University of Edinburgh. His scholarly work is wide ranging in its engagement with questions of law, interpretation, history, institution, rhetoric, visuality, and aesthetics.
Goodrich's favorite case involves carrying a wife across the threshold into their newly purchased house. However, the house was not constructed to their liking and the husband correspondingly dropped the wife. They successfully sued for emotional damages.
- Reading the Law : A Critical Introduction to Legal Method and Techniques. Oxford: B. Blackwell (1986). ISBN 9780631146292.
- Legal Discourse : Studies in Linguistics, Rhetoric and Legal Analysis. London: Macmillan (1987). ISBN 9780333515846.
- Languages of Law : From Logics of Memory to Nomadic Masks. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson (1990). ISBN 9780297820093.
- Oedipus Lex : Psychoanalysis, History, Law. Berkeley: University of California Press (1995). ISBN 9780520089907.
- Law in the Courts of Love : Literature and Other Minor Jurisprudences. London: Routledge (1996). ISBN 0415061652.
- The Laws of Love : A Brief Historical and Practical Manual. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan (2006). ISBN 9781349283118.
- Legal Emblems and the Art of Law : Obiter Depicta as the Vision of Governance. New York: Cambridge University Press (2013). ISBN 9781107035997.
- Imago Decidendi: On the Common Law of Images. Leiden: Brill (2017). ISBN 9789004354333
- Schreber's Law: Jurisprudence and Judgment in Transition. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press (2018). ISBN 9781474426565.
Journal Articles by Decade
- 'The Antinomies of Legal Theory: An Introductory Survey' (1983) 3 Legal Studies 1
- 'The Rise of Legal Formalism; or the Defences of Legal Faith' (1983) 3 Legal Studies 248
- 'Law and Language: An Historical and Critical Introduction' (1984) 11 Journal of Law and Society 173
- 'Rhetoric as Jurisprudence: An Introduction to the Politics of Legal Language' (1984) 4 Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 88
- 'Historical Aspects of Legal Interpretation' (1985) 61 Indiana Law Journal 331
- 'Law and Modernity' (1986) 49 The Modern Law Review 545
- 'Traditions of Interpretation and the Status of the Legal Text' (1986) 6 Legal Studies 53
- 'Literacy and the Languages of the Early Common Law' (1987) 14 Journal of Law and Society 422
- 'Rhetoric, Grammatology and the Hidden Injuries of Law' (1989) 18 Economy and Society 167
- 'Specula Laws: Image, Aesthetic and Common Law' (1991) 2 Law and Critique 233
- 'Eating Law: Commons, Common Land, Common Law' (1991) 12 The Journal of Legal History 246
- 'Critical Legal Studies in England: Prospective Histories' (1992) 12 Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 195
- 'Poor Illiterate Reason: History, Nationalism and Common Law' (1992) 1 Social and Legal Studies 7
- 'The Continuance of the Antirrhetic' (1992) 4 Law and Literature 207
- 'Gynaetopia: Feminine Genealogies of Common Law' (1993) 20 Journal of Law and Society 276
- 'Oedipus Lex: Slips in Interpretation and Law' (1993) 13 Legal Studies 381
- 'Sleeping with the Enemy: An Essay on the Politics of Critical Legal Studies in America' (1993) 68 New York University Law Review 389
- 'Doctor Duxbury's Cure: Or, A Note on Legal Historiography' (1994) 15 Cardozo Law Review 1567
- 'Salem and Bizance: A Short History of the Two Laws' (1994) 37 Renaissance and Modern Studies 13
- 'Of Law and Forgetting: Literature, Ethics, and Legal Judgment' (1994) 1 Arachne: An Interdisciplinary Journal of the Humanities 198
- 'Translating Legendre or, the Poetical Sermon of a Contemporary Jurist' (1995) 16 Cardozo Law Review 963
- '"The Unconscious is a Jurist": Psychoanalysis and Law in the work of Pierre Legendre' (1996) 20 Legal Studies Forum 195
- 'Habermas and the Postal Rule' (1996) 17 Cardozo Law Review 1457
- 'Law in the Courts of Love: Andreas Capellanus and the Judgments of Love' (1996) 48 Stanford Law Review 633
- 'Epistolary Justice: The Love Letter as Law' (1997) 9 Yale Journal of Law and the Humanities 245
- 'Maladies of the Legal Soul: Psychoanalysis and Interpretation in Law' (1997) 3 Washington and Lee Law Review 1035
- 'Justice and the Trauma of Law: A Response to George Pavlich' (1998) 18 Studies in Law, Politics, and Society 271
- 'Law By Other Means' (1998) 10 Law and Literature 111
- 'The Laws of Love: Literature, History and the Governance of Kissing' (1998) 24 New York University Review of Law and Social Change 183
- 'Anti-Teubner: Autopoiesis, Paradox, and the Theory of Law' (1999) 13 Social Epistemology 197
- 'Operatic Hermeneutics: Harmony, Euphantasy, and Law in Rossini's Semiramis' (1999) 20 Cardozo Law Review 1649
- 'The Critic's Love of the Law: Intimate Observations on an Insular Jurisdiction' (1999) 10 Law and Critique 343
- 'Amatory Jurisprudence and the Querelle des Lois' (2000) 76 Chicago-Kent Law Review 751
- 'Duncan Kennedy as I Imagine Him: The Man, the Work, His Scholarship, and the Polity' (2001) 22 Cardozo Law Review 971
- 'Europe in America: Grammatology, Legal Studies, and the Politics of Transmission' (2001) 101 Columbia Law Review 2033
- 'Barron's Complaint: A Response to "Feminism, Aestheticism and the Limits of Law"' (2001) 9 Feminist Legal Studies 149
- 'Erotic Melancholia: Law, Literature, Love' (2002) 14 Law and Literature 103
- 'Zenotypes: On the Modes of Reproduction of Critical Lawyers' (2002) 11 Social and Legal Studies 425
- 'Distrust Quotations in Latin' (2003) 29 Critical Inquiry 193
- 'Laws of Friendship' (2003) 15 Law and Literature 23
- 'Pierre the Anomalist: An Epistemology of the Legal Closet' (2003) 57 University of Miami Law Review 791
- 'The Perspective Law of the Ego: Public Intellectuals and the Economy of Diffuse Returns' (2003) 66 Modern Law Review 294
- 'A Fragment on Cnutism with Brief Divagations on the Philosophy of the Near Miss' (2004) 31 Journal of Law and Society 131
- 'Satirical Legal Studies: From the Legists to the "Lizard"' (2004) 103 Michigan Law Review 397
- 'JD' (2005) 27 Cardozo Law Review 801
- 'Friends in High Places: Amity and Agreement in Alsatia' (2005) 1 International Journal of Law in Context 41
- 'Lex Laetans' (2005) 17 Law and Literature 293
- 'The Importance of Being Earnest: Satire and the Criticism of Law' (2005) 15 Social Semiotics 43
- 'The New Casuistry' (2007) 33 Critical Inquiry 673
- 'Alexy Ad Iustitium' (2008) 17 Social and Legal Studies 105
- 'The Visial Line: On the Prehistory of Law and Film' (2008) 14 Parallax 55
- 'Visive Powers: Colours, Trees and Genres of Jurisdiction' (2008) 2 Law and Humanities 213
- 'Intellection and Indiscipline' (2009) 36 Journal of Law and Society 460
- 'Screening Law' (2009) 21 Law and Literature 1
- 'Theatres of the Book' (2010) 14 Law Text Culture 357
- 'Legal Enigmas—Antonio de Nebrija, The Da Vinci Code and the Emendation of Law' (2010) 30 Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 71
- 'Specters of Law: Why the History of the Legal Spectacle Has Not Been Written' (2011) 1 UC Irvine Law Review 773
- 'The Theatre of Emblems: On the Optical Apparatus and the Investiture of Persons' (2012) 8 Law, Culture and the Humanities 47
- 'Devising Law: On the Philosophy of Legal Emblems' (2013) 57 New York Law School Law Review 133
- 'The Foolosophy of Justice and the Enigma of Law' (2013) 24 Yale Journal of Law and the Humanities 141
- 'The Immense Rumor' (2013) 16 Yale Journal of Law and the Humanities 199
- 'Visiocracy: On the Futures of the Fingerpost' (2013) 39 Critical Inquiry 498
- 'Mos Americanus or Common Law in Partibus Infidelium' (2015) 60 Villanova Law Review 521
- 'The Omina in Nomina' (2016) 10 Law and Humanities 4
- 'How Strange the Change from Major to Minor' (2017) 21 Law Text Culture 30
- 'Proboscations: Excavations in Comedy and Law' (2017) 43 Critical Inquiry 361
Book Chapters by Decade
- 'Psychoanalysis in Legal Education: Notes on the Violence of the Sign' in R Kevelson (ed) Law and Semiotics Volume 1 (Plenum Press 1987)
- 'Modalities of Annunciation: An Introduction to Courtroom Speech' in R Kevelson (ed) Law and Semiotics Volume 2 (Plenum Press 1988)
- 'Ars Bablativa: Ramism, Rhetoric, and the Genealogy of English Jurisprudence' in G Leyh (ed) Legal Hermeneutics (University of California Press 1991)
- 'Antirrhesis: Polemical Structures of Common Law Thought' in A Sarat and TR Kearns (eds) The Rhetoric of Law (University of Michigan Press 1992)
- 'Jani Anglorum: Signs, Symptoms, Slips and Interpretation in Law' in C Douzinas, P Goodrich and Y Hachamovitch (eds) Politics, Postmodernity and Critical Legal Studies: The Legality of the Contingent (Routledge 1993)
- 'Gender and Contracts' in A Bottomly (ed) Feminist Perspectives on the Foundational Subjects of Law (Cavendish 1996)
- 'The Iconography of Nothing: Blank Spaces and the Representation of Law in Edward VI and the Pope' in C Douzinas and L Nead (eds) Law and the Image: The Authority of Art and the Aesthetics of Law (University of Chicago Press 1999)
- 'Gay Science and Law' in V Kahn and L Hutson (eds) Rhetoric and Law in Early Modern Europe (Yale University Press 2001)
- 'Narrative as Argument' in D Herman, M Jahn, and M-L Ryan (eds) The Routledge Encyclopedia of Narrative Theory (Routledge 2005)
- 'Slow Reading' in P Goodrich and M Valverde (eds) Nietzsche and Legal Theory: Half-Written Laws (Routledge 2005)
- 'Amici Curiae: Lawful Manhood and Other Juristic Performances in Renaissance England' in E Sheen and L Hutson (eds) Literature, Politics and Law in Renaissance England (Palgrave 2005)
- 'A Theory of the Nomogram' in Peter Goodrich, Lior Barshack, Anton Schutz (eds) Law, Text, Terror: Essays for Pierre Legendre (Glasshouse 2006)
- 'Flores Quae Faciunt Coronam or the Flowers of Common Law' in O Ben-Dor (ed) Law and Art: Justice, Ethics and Aesthetics (Routledge 2012)
- 'Interstitium and Non-Law' in PG Monateri (ed) Methods of Comparative Law (Edward Elgar 2012)
- 'The Poetry of Black Letters: Deleuze and Amicitia' in L de Sutter and K McGee (eds) Deleuze and Law (Edinburgh 2012)
- 'Devising Law: On the Philosophy of Legal Emblems' in A Wagner and R Sherwin (eds) Law, Culture and Visual Studies (Springer 2014)
- 'Rhetoric and Modern Law' in M MacDonald (ed) The Oxford Handbook of Rhetorical Studies (Oxford 2014)
- 'Courting Death' in D Manderson (ed) Courting Death (Pluto Press 2015)
- 'The Exampleless Example: Of the Infinite Particulars of Early Modern Common Law' in M Lowrie and S Lüdemann (eds) Exemplarity and Singularity: Thinking through Particulars in Philosophy, Literature, and Law (Routledge 2015)
- 'The International Signs Law' in A Orford and F Hoffmann (eds) The Oxford Handbook of the Theory of International Law (Oxford 2016)
- 'The Evidence of Things Not Seen' in P Goodrich and V Hayaert (eds) Genealogies of Legal Vision (Routledge 2016)
- 'The Wrecking Ball: Good Faith, Preemption and US Exceptionalism' in PG Monateri (ed) Comparative Contract Law, Research Handbooks in Comparative Law (Edward Elgar 2017)
- 'Pictures as Precedents: The Visual Turn and the Status of Figures in Judgments' in ES Anker and B Meyler (eds) New Directions in Law and Literature (Oxford 2017)
- 'The Emblem Book and Common Law' in L Hutson (ed) The Oxford Handbook of English Law and Literature 1500-1700 (Oxford 2017)
- 'Aquatopia: Lines of Amity and Laws of the Sea' in A Carty and J Nijman (eds) Morality and Responsibility of Rulers: European and Chinese Origins of a Rule of Law as Justice for World Order (Oxford 2018)
- 'Faces and Frames of Government' in D Manderson (ed) Law and the Visual: Representations, Technologies, and Critique (University of Toronto Press 2018)
Selected Editorial Work
- (edited with Costas Douzinas and Yifat Hachamovitch) Politics, Postmodernity and Critical Legal Studies: The Legality of the Contingent, Routledge, 1994, ISBN 978-0-415-08651-6.
- (edited with Mariana Valverde) Nietzsche and Legal Theory: Half-Written Laws, Routledge, 2005, ISBN 978-0415950794.
- (edited with Lior Barshack) Law Text Terror, Routledge-Cavendish, 2006, ISBN 978-1845680619.
- (edited with Valérie Hayaert) Genealogies of Legal Vision, Routledge, 2016, ISBN 978-1317683896.