Peter Gordon (chef)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
Wanganui, New Zealand
Born in the coastal town of Wanganui, New Zealand, Gordon is of Ngāti Kahungunu and Ngāi Tahu descent. He moved to Melbourne, Australia, in 1981 where he worked for five years before travelling through Asia for a year, and then returned to Wellington, New Zealand. He moved to London in 1989 where he has lived since. In 1994 he was a bone marrow donor to his sister Tracey who was suffering from leukaemia. In 2005, he was ranked as one of Britain's 100 most influential gay and lesbian people.
Gordon set up the kitchen of the original "Sugar Club" restaurant in Wellington, New Zealand in 1986 followed by two British incarnations in London's Notting Hill in 1996 and in West Soho, London in 1998. In 2001 he set up The Providores and Tapa Room Restaurant on Marylebone High Street with his partner Michael McGrath and two other partners. McGrath and Gordon are now sole owners of the business, along with the owners of changa restaurant in Istanbul (Tarik Bayazit and Savas Ertunc) and United Kingdom-based Annie Smail. In 2004, he set up the "dine by Peter Gordon" restaurant in the SKYCITY Grand Hotel in Auckland followed soon by the Bellota tapas bar in 2006. In July 2013, Gordon opened his new restaurant "The Sugar Club" in the SKYCITY Hotel in Auckland. Gordon and McGrath are also co-owners of the lauded vineyard Waitaki Braids in North Otago, New Zealand.
In 2013, Gordon became the host of Fusion Feasts, where he returned home to Wanganui and introduced his Māori roots, while showcasing his interpretations of fusion cuisine using local foods from his hometown, and prepared traditional Maori feasts to his extended family in his ancestral home in Paki Paki, Hastings. According to the first episode, he revealed that while he can understand some Māori, he is not fluent at it. He also revealed that his ancestor, Kahungunu, was known as "Pāua farter" because Kahungunu managed to shift the blame for farting after consuming too much pāua to his wife's ex-husband.
- The Providores and Tapa Room (London, UK)
- Kopapa (Covent Garden, London, UK)
- dine by Peter Gordon at SKYCITY Grand Hotel (Auckland, New Zealand) Now closed
- Bellota tapas bar at SKYCITY (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen - Currently the new head chef of Gourmet Burger
- changa, and müzedechanga restaurant (Istanbul, Turkey)
- PUBLIC - helped set up (New York, USA)
- The Sugar Club (Original) - (Now closed)
- The Sugar Club - SKYCITY (Auckland, New Zealand)
- Daniell, Sarah (14 March 2014). "Top chef Peter Gordon goes native for new TV show". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- The Times, (9 July 2005), The world on his plate.
- Rainbownetwork.com, (June 29, 2005), The Pink List 2005. Retrieved June 25, 2007.
- "New Year honours list 2009". Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 31 December 2008. Retrieved 1 April 2015.
- Fusion Feasts
- The Providores restaurant (Marylebone, London)
- dine by Peter Gordon restaurant
- Bellota BAR DE TAPA Y VINOS
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen restaurants
- changa restaurant Istanbul
- PUBLIC restaurant
- The Sugar Club at SKYCITY Auckland