|Alma mater||Oxford University (BA) and Yale University (PhD)|
King's College London
|political philosophy, French philosophy, Political freedom, Post-Colonialism, Existentialism, Globalisation|
Peter Hallward is a political philosopher, best known for his work on Alain Badiou and Gilles Deleuze. He has also published works on post-colonialism and contemporary Haiti. Hallward is a member of the editorial collective of the journal Radical Philosophy and a contributing editor to Angelaki: Journal of the Theoretical Humanities.
After completing his PhD at Yale University in French and African-American studies, Hallward became a lecturer, and then reader, of French philosophy and literature at King's College London from 1999-2004, and then joined the Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy, originally located at Middlesex University. He is now a professor of Modern European Philosophy at Kingston University.
Hallward is currently working on a three part project on key philosophers of the political will, Rousseau, Marx, and Auguste Blanqui. He is simultaneously working on a larger book entitled 'The Will of the People,' which will "develop and defend a notion of democratic political will, understood as a rational, deliberate, and autonomous capacity for collective self-determination."
- Hallward, Peter (2001), Absolutely Postcolonial: Writing Between the Singular and the Specific, Manchester: Manchester University Press, ISBN 0-7190-6126-1
- Hallward, Peter (2003), Badiou: A Subject to Truth, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, ISBN 0-8166-3461-0
- Hallward, Peter (2006), Out of this World: Deleuze and the Philosophy of Creation, London: Verso Books, ISBN 1-84467-555-6
- Hallward, Peter (2007), Damming the Flood: Haiti, Aristide, and the Politics of Containment, London: Verso Books, ISBN 1-84467-106-2
- Hallward, Peter, ed. (2004), Think Again: Alain Badiou and the Future of Philosophy, London: Continuum, ISBN 0-8264-5907-2
- Hallward, Peter, and Knox Peden, eds.(2012) Concept and Form Volume 1: Selections from the Cahiers Pour L'Analyse. Vol. 1. London: Verso, ISBN 1-84467-872-5
- Hallward, Peter, and Knox Peden, eds. (2012) Concept and Form Volume 2: Interviews and essays on the Cahiers pour l'Analyse. Vol. 2. London: Verso, ISBN 1-84467-873-3
- Hallward, Peter (August 2003). "The one or the other?". Angelaki, special issue: French Philosophy Today. 8 (2).
- Hallward, Peter (May–June 2004). "Option zero in Haiti". New Left Review. New Left Review. II (27).
- Badiou, Alain (2001), Ethics: An Essay on the Understanding of Evil, London: Verso Books, ISBN 1-85984-297-6
- "Listen to Peter Hallward, 'Re-educating the Educator' « London Graduate School". www.thelondongraduateschool.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- "Prof Peter Hallward - Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences - Kingston University London". fass.kingston.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- "Prof Peter Hallward - Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences - Kingston University London". fass.kingston.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-12-15.
- Hallward's page at Kingston University
- Hallward's archive at Radical Philosophy
- Angelaki The Journal of the Theoretical Humanities
- Save Middlesex Philosophy
- Audio file of lecture by Peter Hallward on communism titled 'Communism of the Intellect, Communism of the Will'
|This biography of a Canadian philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|