|Alma mater||Oxford University (BA) and Yale University (PhD)|
King's College London
|Political Philosophy, French Philosophy, Critical Theory, Political Will, Postcolonialism, Existentialism|
Peter Hallward is a political philosopher, best known for his work on Alain Badiou and Gilles Deleuze. He has also published works on post-colonialism and contemporary Haiti. Hallward is a member of the editorial collective of the journal Radical Philosophy and a contributing editor to Angelaki: Journal of the Theoretical Humanities.
After completing his PhD at Yale University in French and African-American studies, Hallward became a lecturer, and then reader, of French philosophy and literature at King's College London from 1999 to 2004. He then joined the Centre for Research in Modern European Philosophy, which relocated from Middlesex University to Kingston University. He is now a professor of Modern European Philosophy at Kingston University.
Hallward is currently working on a three part project on key philosophers of political will: Rousseau, Blanqui, and Marx. He is simultaneously working on a larger book entitled 'The Will of the People,' which will "develop and defend a notion of democratic political will, understood as a rational, deliberate, and autonomous capacity for collective self-determination."
- Hallward, Peter (2001), Absolutely Postcolonial: Writing Between the Singular and the Specific, Manchester: Manchester University Press, ISBN 0-7190-6126-1
- Hallward, Peter (2003), Badiou: A Subject to Truth, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, ISBN 0-8166-3461-0
- Hallward, Peter (2006), Out of this World: Deleuze and the Philosophy of Creation, London: Verso Books, ISBN 1-84467-555-6
- Hallward, Peter (2007), Damming the Flood: Haiti, Aristide, and the Politics of Containment, London: Verso Books, ISBN 1-84467-106-2
- Hallward, Peter, ed. (2004), "Think Again: Alain Badiou and the Future of Philosophy", Continuum, London, ISBN 0-8264-5907-2
- Hallward, Peter, and Knox Peden, eds.(2012) Concept and Form Volume 1: Selections from the Cahiers Pour L'Analyse. Vol. 1. London: Verso, ISBN 1-84467-872-5
- Hallward, Peter, and Knox Peden, eds. (2012) Concept and Form Volume 2: Interviews and essays on the Cahiers pour l'Analyse. Vol. 2. London: Verso, ISBN 1-84467-873-3
- Hallward, Peter, and Philippe Le Goff, eds. (2018) The Blanqui Reader: Political Writings, 1830-1880 London: Verso, ISBN 9781786635013
- Hallward, Peter (August 2003). "The one or the other?". Angelaki, special issue: French Philosophy Today. 8 (2).
- Hallward, Peter (May–June 2004). "Option zero in Haiti". New Left Review. II (27).
- Badiou, Alain (2001), Ethics: An Essay on the Understanding of Evil, London: Verso Books, ISBN 1-85984-297-6
- "Listen to Peter Hallward, 'Re-educating the Educator'". London Graduate School. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- "Prof Peter Hallward – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences". Kingston University London. Retrieved 2016-05-15.
- Hallward's page at Kingston University
- Hallward's archive at Radical Philosophy
- Angelaki The Journal of the Theoretical Humanities
- Save Middlesex Philosophy
- Audio file of lecture by Peter Hallward on communism titled 'Communism of the Intellect, Communism of the Will'
|This biography of a Canadian philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|