|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Bath and Wells|
|Diocese||Diocese of Bath and Wells|
|Other posts||Bishop of Basingstoke (2010–2014)|
|Consecration||21 September 2010|
26 July 1955 |
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
|Residence||The Bishop's Palace, Wells, Somerset|
|Children||Two adult daughters, two adult sons; Claire, Richard, Charlotte, William|
|Alma mater||Selwyn College, Cambridge|
Life and ministry
Hancock was born on the Isle of Wight and his family moved to Fareham when he was 11. He undertook an undergraduate degree at Selwyn College, Cambridge before training for ordained ministry at Oak Hill Theological College. He was a curate at Christchurch, Portsdown between 1980 and 1983 and Saint Aldhelm, Radipole until 1987.
Hancock was consecrated as a bishop at St Paul's Cathedral on 21 September 2010 and welcomed as Bishop of Basingstoke at Winchester Cathedral on 2 October 2010. On 10 December 2013, it was announced that Hancock would become Bishop of Bath and Wells in 2014. Initially it was announced that, unlike his predecessors, he would not live in the Bishop's Palace. However that decision was later reversed. His election as Bishop of Bath and Wells was confirmed on 4 March 2014 and he was installed at Wells Cathedral on 7 June 2014.
In his first interview after being installed as bishop, he spoke against same-sex marriage. In an article in the Bath Chronicle, he said "We will therefore need to think, pray and consider very deeply what it might mean to share the gospel across the diocese, what it might mean to foster spiritual and numerical growth in Church and community, and how we can so order our life as a diocese to enable the Church to grow and flourish in new ways."
- The Reverend Peter Hancock (1980–1997)
- The Reverend Canon Peter Hancock (1997–1999)
- The Venerable Peter Hancock (1999–2010)
- The Right Reverend Peter Hancock (2010–present)
- Diocese of Portsmouth — New Bishop of Basingstoke
- Winchester Diocese — Three new bishops consecrated...
- Number 10 — Official Announcement
- Debretts — Peter Hancock
- Ventnor blog
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 (100th edition), Church House Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0).
- ”Pompey Chimes” (Diocese of Portsmouth newspaper) July/August 2010
- Diocese of Winchester
- Diocese of Bath and Wells – Next Bishop of Bath and Wells announced (Accessed 10 December 2013)
- "Determination of objection to regulation transaction: House of Residence of Bishop of Bath and Wells" (PDF). Archbishops' Council. 1 May 2014.
- Diocese of Bath and Wells – Bishop's Synod address (24 March 2014) & Welcome to Christ Church Winchester, 9 March 2014 (both accessed 4 April 2014)
- Diocese of Bath and Wells – Bishops (Accessed 7 March 2014)
- "New Bishop of Bath and Wells Peter Hancock installed". BBC News. 7 June 2014.
- "Bishop Attacks Gay Marriage". Bristol Post. 9 June 2014.
- "Bath Chronicle". 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
|Church of England titles|
|Archdeacon of The Meon
|Bishop of Basingstoke
|Bishop of Bath and Wells