21 August 1976 |
|Alma mater||Griffith University|
|Occupation||Director, producer and head of Soul Vision Films|
Peter Hegedus (born 21 August 1976) is an award winning writer, director and producer of both documentary and short fiction films. He is also the grandson of the former Prime Minister of Hungary, András Hegedüs.
Peter Hegedus was born in Budapest, Hungary and moved with his mother and his sister to Brisbane, Australia in 1991. In 1995 Peter was accepted into the Queensland College of Art to study film. At twenty-one, he produced and directed a documentary for television Grandfathers and Revolutions about his grandfather; this marked the beginning of his professional career in filmmaking.
Peter's first film, Grandfathers and Revolutions, is a story about his own grandfather, András Hegedüs; the Prime Minister of Hungary who called in the Soviet troops to quash the Hungarian Revolution in 1956. The documentary was produced and directed by Hegedus for SBS TV Australia. The film won multiple awards at international film festivals. (See Awards and achievements)
In 2002 Hegedus formed Soul Vision Films Pty Ltd. According to him, the company's philosophy is to produce and direct films which provide insight into the human condition. Under this company he produced Inheritance, a Fisherman’s Story, a Hungarian-Australian co-production based around the ecological disaster in Hungary in 2000. The film was shortlisted for the 2004 Academy Awards and won an additional seven awards around the world. In 2004, Hegedus made his first short drama, Redemption which he says captures the nine most important minutes of a man's life in a single take. Redemption participated at many international film festivals and was also shown at the annual conference of the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty accompanying the documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore.
In 2005 Peter wrote and directed Hole in the Wall, an eleven-minute drama that explores the importance of dealing with the past in order to move on with our lives. The film participated in many festivals around the world and won best screenplay at the Queensland Short Film Festival.
In 2007 Peter produced and directed a longitudinal documentary for the ABC; Wings to Fly following the life of Catrina Lawrence, a 21-year-old girl living in Mackay over seven years.
In 2011, Hegedus completed My America, a feature documentary about his search for the American dream. Peter co-produced, directed and wrote the film, which is due for theatrical release in late 2011. My America received a favorable review by Richard Kuipers in film-industry magazine Variety. Also in 2011, Hegedus completed an observational documentary for ABC TV, The Trouble With St Mary’s following the life of a Catholic Priest who is sacked by the Vatican for unorthodox practices. The film has been selected to compete in the inaugural BIFFDOCS competition at the Brisbane International Film Festival 2011.
Awards and achievements
2011 - The Trouble with St Mary's - feature documentary (writer, director)
- Official selection at Brisbane International Film Festival (additionally selected to compete for the BIFFDOCS award).
2011 - My America - feature documentary (co-producer, writer, director)
- Official selection at Brisbane International Film Festival, Canberra International Film Festival, Global Peace Film Festival, Mumbai Film Festival and Sydney Film Festival.
2008 - Awarded the Doctor of Visual Arts from Griffith University.
2005 - Hole in the Wall - short drama (Writer/director)
- Best screenplay and best actor at Queensland Short Film Festival
- Official selection Brisbane International Film Festival and Cleveland International Film Festival
2004 - Redemption - short drama (Writer/director)
- Official selection at Rhode Island International Film Festival, Brisbane International Film Festival, Great Lakes Film Festival, the Hawaii International Film Festival and Ashville International Film Festival.
2003 - Inheritance, a Fisherman's Story - A feature-length documentary for SBS TV Australia, RTBF, Lichtpunt (Producer, writer, and director)
- Short-listed for an Academy Award 2004
- Grand Prize at the Global Peace Film festival
- Grand Prize at Real Life on Film Festival
- Special Jury Prize – International Scientific Film Festival, Hungary
- Hungarian Film Critics Award for Best Documentary 2003
1999 - Grandfathers and Revolutions A 52-minute documentary for SBS TV, Australia (Producer, writer and director)
- Grand Prix at Brussels International Independent Film Festival, Belgium
- Crystal Heart Award at Heartland Film Festival, USA
- Honorary diploma and best documentary by student jury at the 37th Kraków Film Festival, Poland
- Grand Prize for best Television documentary at the 14th Pärnu International Documentary and Anthropology Film Festival, Estonia
- Viz Poets - Hole in the Wall
- "Filmmaker explores an outsider’s view of My America ". Charleston City Paper By Susan Cohen
- "My America". review, Variety. June 11 2011.
- "Leading documentary film makers fight it out for BIFF’s top prize". Queensland Government. 26 September 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Griffith University - Alumni
- RIIFF List of films -pp30
- Great Lakes Film Fest - Redemption
- Deckert Distribution - Inheritance, A Fisherman's Story
- Screen Australia Archive - Awards
- Krakow Film Festival Awards 2000
- Parnu Film Festival Archive - pp2
- Peter Hegedus on IMDB
- Soul Vision Films
- My America - Official site
- The Trouble with St Mary's - Official site
- "Feature: The Trouble with St Mary's". Inside Film. 25 May 2011. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "THE TROUBLE WITH ST. MARY’S – Watch this Sunday night’s "Compass"". Father Bob's Blog. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "Father Inspires Film". Courier Mail. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- "Grandfathers and Revolutions". UNAFF. 1 January 2000. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- "The rise of the workshop class". Real Time Arts. August–September 2005. Retrieved 1 October 2011.