|Sir Peter Hellings|
|Years of service||1935–71|
|Commands held||Commandant General Royal Marines (1968–71)
3 Commando Brigade (1959–60)
40 Commando (1958–59)
|Battles/wars||Second World War
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath
Distinguished Service Cross
Mentioned in Despatches (2)
Hellings joined the Royal Marines in 1935 and served in the Second World War as a Company Commander with 40 Commando, being awarded the Distinguished Service Cross in 1940 and the Military Cross during the fighting in Italy in 1943. He was also mentioned in Despatches in 1946 in recognition of "gallant and distinguished services in North West Europe" during the closing stages of the war.
Shortly after the end of the war he commanded 41 Commando and 42 Commando. He saw active service in Malaya in the early 1950s during the Malayan Emergency, and in Cyprus during the Cyprus Emergency, for which he was mentioned in despatches in 1958. He was appointed Commanding Officer of 40 Commando in 1958, Commander of 3 Commando Brigade in 1959 and Commander of the Infantry Training Centre Royal Marines in 1960. He went on to be Deputy Director of the Joint Warfare School in 1963, Chief of Staff to the Commandant General Royal Marines in 1964 and Commander Portsmouth Group Royal Marines in 1967. His last appointment was as Commandant General Royal Marines in 1968 before retiring in 1971.
- Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives
- "No. 34941". The London Gazette (Supplement). 6 September 1940. p. 5441.
- "No. 36367". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 February 1944. p. 687.
- "No. 37464". The London Gazette (Supplement). 8 February 1946. p. 909.
- "No. 41511". The London Gazette. 30 September 1958. p. 5974.
- Gas Consumers' Councils (Chairmanship) Hansard, 15 February 1973
Sir Norman Tailyour
|Commandant General Royal Marines
Sir Ian Gourlay