|Sir Peter Hendy
|Born||19 March 1953|
|Occupation||Chairman, Network Rail|
Transport for London: (2001-2015)
Network Rail: (2015-)
Hendy started his career in the public transport industry in 1975 as a London Transport graduate trainee. He moved up the career ladder, eventually taking on the role of managing director of CentreWest London Buses Ltd, managing it under London Transport ownership.
He led the company through a management buyout with staff involvement, and subsequent expansion. After the takeover of CentreWest by FirstGroup, Hendy became Deputy Director UK Bus for FirstGroup, responsible for bus operations in London and southern England, bus development, light rail and operations in Hong Kong.
Transport for London
In 2001, he was appointed to the position of managing director of Surface Transport for Transport for London (TfL), under Ken Livingstone's mayoralty of London. On 1 February 2006, he took up the position of Commissioner of Transport for London.
In July 2015 Hendy was appointed chairman of Network Rail.
Hendy was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2006 New Year Honours for his work in keeping public transport in London running during the 7 July 2005 London bombings. He was knighted for services to transport and the community in the 2013 New Year Honours. Hendy was given an Award of Doctor of Science honoris causa by City University London in 2010.
Hendy is the younger son of Jack Hendy and the Honourable Mary Best, youngest daughter of Philip George Best, 6th Baron Wynford. He is married to Sue Pendle, a human resources consultant; the couple have two children.
Hendy owns an original and roadworthy London Routemaster bus.
- "Peter Hendy addresses Leeds Business School Alumni". Leeds University Business School. 9 June 2011. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Milmo, Dan (6 July 2007). "Former conductor keeps London's wheels turning". The Guardian.
- "Knights Bachelor" (PDF). Cabinet Office. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 29 December 2012.
- Official Network Rail web page of Board members
- Appointment as Commissioner of Transport
- Interview with 'The Guardian' on his first day as Commissioner of Transport