This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Peter Hinwood (born 17 May 1946) is an English actor and antiques dealer.
Hinwood worked as both a photographer and a professional model while he was pursuing his acting career. Hinwood is mostly noted for his film appearance as the well-oiled, muscular and mostly mute creation Rocky in the 1975 cult classic, The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Rocky's singing voice was dubbed in post-production by Australian singer Trevor White. Both Hinwood and White were interviewed by Scott Michaels for his 2002 book Rocky Horror: From Concept to Cult.
His portrayal of Dr. Frank-N-Furter's "creation" was the most significant role of Hinwood's limited acting career. Hinwood had played the Greek god Hermes in the Adventures of Ulysses mini-series on British television in the late 1960s. He performed in one other horror film before Rocky Horror, as "Guy" in Roddy McDowall's macabre Tam Lin. After Rocky Horror, he capped his cinematic career with a bit role in Paul Humfress and Derek Jarman's homoerotic Roman historical drama, Sebastiane.
Hinwood is now an antiques dealer in London and lives most of the time in Tangier. He told People magazine in 2000 that there were three reasons why he chose not to continue to milk his Horror moment. "One, I can't act. Two, I cringe with embarrassment every time I see myself on film. Three, I relish a quiet, peaceful life." Hinwood revealed that in 1994 he had rediscovered the gold hot pants he wore in the film and sold them through an auction house for nearly $1,000. They are now part of the Hard Rock memorabilia collection, and were for a time displayed in their Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, restaurant. The shorts can be viewed at the Orlando Hard Rock.
|1975||The Rocky Horror Picture Show||Rocky Horror - A Creation|
|1976||Sebastiane||Emperor's Guest||Uncredited, (final film role)|
- "The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)". BFI.
- Michaels, Scott; Evans, David (5 August 2002). "Rocky Horror : from concept to cult". London : Sanctuary – via Trove.
- "Peter Hinwood". BFI.
- "Le AVVENTURE DI ULISSE (1968)". BFI.
- "Tam Lin (1971) - Roddy McDowall | Cast and Crew". AllMovie.
- "Sebastiane (1976)". BFI.
- Lovatt-Smith, Lisa(1997). London Living, p. 100. Whitney Library of Design, an imprint of Watson-Guptill Publications, New York. ISBN 978-0-8230-2836-8.
- "Let's Do the Time Warp Again". People. 9 October 2000. Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- "Item 008633 Peter Hinwood - The Rocky Horror Picture Show - Rocky's gold shorts". Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Remembering Christopher Gibbs - Architectural Digest". architecturaldigest.com. Retrieved 2 August 2018.