CC QC FRSC
Hogg speaking at the University of Western Ontario in 2010
|Born||Peter Wardell Hogg
March 12, 1939
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
|Occupation||Constitutional law scholar|
|Notable work||Constitutional Law of Canada|
Early life and education
Born in Lower Hutt, New Zealand, Hogg attended Nelson College from 1952 to 1956. He earned his LL.B. from the University of New Zealand in 1962, his LL.M. from Harvard University in 1963, and his Ph.D. from Monash University in Melbourne, Australia in 1970.
In 1970, he was appointed Professor of Law at Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto and was appointed Dean in 1998. In 2003 he accepted a position as scholar in residence at the law firm of Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP.
Hogg has written several books, including Constitutional Law of Canada, the single most-cited book in decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada. In 2004, he was lead counsel for the Canadian Government in the Supreme Court's same-sex marriage reference. Hogg also advised the committee that studied Marshall Rothstein's nomination to the Supreme Court, saying the creation of the committee was important to Canada's legal history and informing it that it should not ask political questions about abortion and same-sex marriage.
- 1980 - appointed a Queen's Counsel
- 1988 - named a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
- 1991 - made an Officer of the Order of Canada.
- 1996 - awarded Law Society Medal by the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- 2003 - promoted to Companion of the Order of Canada.
- 2003 - received the Canadian Bar Association's Ramon John Hnatyshyn Award for Law, which recognizes outstanding contributions to the law and legal scholarship in Canada.
- 2003 - received from the Law Society of Upper Canada an honorary degree of Doctor of Laws (LL.D.)
- 2005 - received from Universite de Montreal an honorary Doctorate.
- 2006 - received from the Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand an honorary Doctor of Laws degree (LL.D.)
- 2006 - received from York University an honorary Doctor of Laws.
- Hogg, Peter W. (2007) [1st ed. pub. 1977]. Constitutional Law of Canada (5th ed.). Toronto: Carswell. ISBN 978-0-7798-1337-7.
- —; Monahan, Patrick J.; Wright, Wade K. (2011) [1st ed. pub. 1971]. Liability of the Crown (4th ed.). Toronto: Carswell. ISBN 978-0-7798-3635-2.
- —; Magee, Joanne E.; Li, Jinyan (2013) [1st ed. pub. 1995]. Principles of Canadian Income Tax Law (8th ed.). Toronto: Carswell. ISBN 978-0-7798-5513-1.
- Nelson College Old Boys' Register, 1856–2006, 6th edition
- Reference re Same-Sex Marriage,  3 S.C.R. 698
- John Ward, "Even the paintings seemed bored as MPs question high court nominee: Column Constitutional expert Peter Hogg called it a historic moment. Then he carefully outlined the kind of historic questions the MPs shouldn't ask," Daily Townsman, Cranbrook, B.C.: February 28, 2006, pg. 4.