Peter I. Chang
|Peter I. Chang|
|Occupation||Artist, illustrator and filmmaker|
In 2004, Chang and Cullin established Workshop Lo-Vi in order to "create quality film projects with little or no budget, utilizing as few accessories as possible, and cobbling the finished product together with tools/equipment that are easily available to anyone."
In a 2006 review of Chang's documentary Life in G-Chord, The Santa Fe New Mexican praised Chang's "simple camerawork" and the "whimsical touches" the director used in the film, further stating that "Chang makes good sense of the film’s endless supply of still photography and old footage through playful collage and editing."
Chang's digital short Regina Monologue, which features Cullin and was shot in Canada during the production of Terry Gilliam's Tideland, is included as an easter egg on Disc 2 of the UK DVD release of the film.
In 2008, Chang's second full-length documentary Tokyo is Dreaming was completed, a non-narrative project that depicts Japan's capital during a 24-hour time period. The film received its world premiere at the 5th Berwick Film Festival in 2009. In an overview of the festival written in Empire, film critic David Parkinson described the film as "an astute and assured tableau that's compellingly counterpointed by a score by Calexico's John Convertino."
Bibliography (as illustrator)
- Mitch Cullin ; art by Peter I. Chang. (2002), UnderSurface, The Permanent Press, ISBN 978-1-57962-077-6
- I Want to Destroy America (original title: Life in G-Chord) (2006); documentary
- Tokyo is Dreaming (2008); documentary
- Regina Monologue (2007); available as an Easter egg (virtual) on the UK DVD of Terry Gilliam's Tideland
- Generation Rice
- GR Gallery Archive
- Philadelphia Inquirer
- Santa Fe New Mexican Film Review
- Gathman, Roger (9 April 2001). "Not Your Everyday Texan". Entertainment Weekly. Archived from the original on October 9, 2008. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Workshop Lo-Vi info
- Audience Without A Box
- Tideland DVD specs
- UK Channel 4 Tideland DVD review
- Mitch Cullin at Redroom
- Tokyo is Dreaming at IMDB
- 2009 Berwick-Upon-Tweed Film Festival
- IMDB external reviews