Peter Jöback during Stockholm Pride 2007
|Birth name||Peter Arne Jöback|
4 June 1971 |
|Genres||Pop, Musical theatre|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, musical artist, actor, songwriter, pianist, guitarist|
|Instruments||Voice, piano, guitar|
|Website||Official web site|
Early life and education
Peter Jöback got his big break through his collaboration with ABBA's Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson. In their musical Kristina från Duvemåla (The Emigrants) at Malmö Opera and Music Theatre, Jöback created the role of Robert and his theme song, “Guldet blev till sand”, broke every record in the Swedish charts. The musical was seen by over one million Swedes and the original cast CD-box became a triple-platinum album and received several Swedish Grammy awards. Jöback received his first Golden Mask for his role as Robert.
Cameron Mackintosh discovered Peter Jöback’s talent and offered him the lead as Chris in Miss Saigon at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in London’s West End in 1997. Three years later at the same theatre, Jöback created the role of Michael in Macintosh’s original production of The Witches of Eastwick.
His many stage performances and albums have been met with critical acclaim. Jöback’s Christmas album was released in 2002. On this album Jöback teamed up with Norwegian singer Ms Sissel Kyrkjebø in a duet of the Irish folk song “Be thou my vision” in a Swedish translation. The duo have since been frequent guests at each other’s concerts.
In 2004 Jöback collaborated with the internationally renowned Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Nick Davies in a project called Storybook where he performed classic songs in brand new arrangements. GSO and Jöback released a CD which became a Gold Disc and also performed two concerts in the Globe Arena and Scandinavium Arena in Sweden. The album also brought Jöback to a superstar status in Norway. His first solo tour there in 2005 was a success both with audience and media.
During 2006–2007 Peter Jöback starred as the MC in a production of Cabaret in Stockholm and Gothenburg. He received critical praise as well as his second Golden Mask Tony Award. He already in 2003 performed as the MC at Gladsaxe Theatre in Copenhagen.
Jöback ended 2008 with a sold-out Christmas tour in arenas in Scandinavia following the release of a new 4x platinum-selling Christmas album. In 2007 he also toured Scandinavia with his platinum-selling studio album with original songs co-written by himself. In January 2009 Jöback moved to New York to get new inspiration and make new acquaintances. This has resulted in an album entitled East Side Stories, recorded in Woodstock, featuring prominent guests such as Kate Pierson from the The B52's, Sia Furler, Gail Ann Dorsey and the group Betty.
Peter Jöback entered Melodifestivalen 2010 the Swedish Pre-selection for the Eurovision Song Contest 2010. He received a wildcard from SVT. His song, "Hollow", reached the final of the competition, ultimately finishing in 9th position. In 2011, Jöback performed in the finale of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall. In 2012 Jöback starred as the Phantom in the London production of The Phantom of the Opera. He repeated the role on Broadway in April 2013. His last performance as Phantom was on August 24, 2013, when Hugh Panaro took up the role again. Next he'll will return to his homeland to do a tour there.
- 1993: Peter Jöback
- 1997: Personliga val
- 2000: Only When I Breathe
- 2002: I Feel Good and I'm Worth It
- 2002: Jag kommer hem igen till jul
- 2003: Jag kommer hem igen till jul (new version with extra song)
- 2004: Det här är platsen
- 2004: Storybook
- 2006: Flera sidor av samma man (double CD compilation)
- 2007: Människor som du och jag
- 2008: Himlen är inget tak (A live CD with Eva Dahlgren)
- 2009: East Side Stories
- 2010: En kväll med Petros (Live Album)
- 2011: Livet, kärleken och döden – La vie, l'amour, la mort
- 2012: Jag kommer hem igen till jul – Jubileumsutgåva
- 2013: "I Love Musicals – The Album"
- 1990: "En sensation"
- 1990: "Let's Kiss (Like Angels Do)"
- 1991: "This Time"
- 1992: "More Than a Game" (with Towe Jaarnek)
- 1993: "Det ingen annan vet"
- 1993: "Du är min längtan"
- 1993: "Nu när jag funnit dig"
- 1996: "Guldet blev till sand"
- 1997: "En sång om oss"
- 1998: "Vem ser ett barn"
- 1999: "Hon ser inte mig"
- 2000: "Higher"
- 2000: "Tonight"
- 2001: "Under My Skin"
- 2002: "She's Like A Butterfly"
- 2002: "Sinner"
- 2003: "Gå inte förbi", duet with Sissel Kyrkjebø
- 2004: "Du har förlorat mer än jag"
- 2004: "Sommarens sista sång"
- 2006: "Jag blundar i solens sken"
- 2007: "Stockholm i natt"
- 2007: "Han är med mig nu", featuring Annika Norlin [Säkert]
- 2007: "Italy vs Helsinki", together with the band Laakso
- 2007: "Jag står för allt jag gjort"
- 2008: "Himlen är inget tak", with Eva Dahlgren
- 2009: "Sing", with Kate Pierson
- 2011: "Jag kommer hem igen till jul"
- 1992: Rockmusikalen Grease
- 1993: Aladdin
- 1993: Fame – The Musical
- 1994: Aladdin Jafars Återkomst
- 1996: Kristina från Duvemåla
- 1999: 16 Favoriter ur Kristina från Duvemåla
- 2000: The Witches Of Eastwick
- 2007: Cabaret
Musicals and other shows
- 1982–83: Mio Min Mio
- 1982–84: Sound Of Music
- 1983–84: Snövit (Snow white)
- 1984–85: Kavallerijungfrun
- 1988: Här & Nu
- 1990: Melodifestivalen
- 1990: West Side Story
- 1991–92: Grease
- 1993: Aladdin
- 1993–94: Fame
- 1994: Djungelboken
- 1994–95: Musical Express 1 & 2
- 1995–98: Kristina Från Duvemåla
- 1997: Miss Saigon, in London
- 1997: Peter Jöback – A Musical Voyage
- 1998: Jesus Christ Superstar
- 1998: Personliga Val – Live
- 1998: Peter Jöback Show
- 1999: Där Regnbågen Slutar
- 2000: Stuart Little
- 2000: The Witches of Eastwick, in London
- 2003: Cabaret, in Copenhagen
- 2005: Concert tour in Norway
- 2005: Rhapsody in rock, Sweden tour
- 2006: Cabaret, in Stockholm
- 2007: Cabaret, in Gothenburg
- 2008: En julkonsert
- 2009: En julkonsert
- 2012: The Phantom of the Opera, Her Majesty's Theatre, London
- 2013: The Phantom of the Opera, The Majestic Theatre, New York
- Peter Jöback's official site (English and Swedish)
- Official myspace (English)
- Unofficial site (English)
- Label official site (Swedish)
- Management official site (Swedish)