Peter J. Bickel
|Peter John Bickel|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley (PhD)|
|Awards||COPSS Presidents' Award (1981), MacArthur Fellow|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
|Doctoral advisor||Erich Leo Lehmann|
|Other notable students|
Peter John Bickel (born 1940) is an American statistician, Professor of Statistics at the University of California, Berkeley, who is also a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and of the National Academy of Sciences. He is past President of the Bernoulli Society and of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics.
As a scientist and an educator, he has supervised and mentored many students and young researchers, many of whom later become leading figures in the fields of statistics and economics. These include C.F. Jeff Wu, Jianqing Fan, Mark van der Laan, Donald Andrews, etc.
He married Nancy Kramer in 1964; they have two children.
- 1970 Guggenheim Fellow
- 1973 Fellow of the American Statistical Association
- 1981 the recipient of COPSS Presidents' Award
- 1984 MacArthur Fellows Program
- 1986 Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 1986 Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 1986 Honorary Doctorate degree from Hebrew University, Jerusalem
- 1995 Foreign member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2006 Commander of the Order of Orange-Nassau
- 2013 R. A. Fisher Lectureship
- 2014 Honorary Doctorate degree from ETH Zurich 
- Reminiscences of a statistician: the company I kept, Erich Leo Lehmann, Springer, 2007, ISBN 978-0-387-71596-4
- Frontiers in statistics: dedicated to Peter John Bickel in honor of his 65th birthday, Jianqing Fan, Hira L. Koul, Imperial College Press, 2006, ISBN 978-1-86094-670-7, page 1
- Frontiers in statistics: dedicated to Peter John Bickel in honor of his 65th birthday, Jianqing Fan, Hira L. Koul, Imperial College Press, 2006, ISBN 978-1-86094-670-7, page xix
- View/Search Fellows of the ASA, accessed 2016-08-20.
- "Book of Members, 1780–2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved June 25, 2011.
- http://www.nasonline.org, National Academy of Sciences -. "Peter Bickel". www.nasonline.org. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "P.J. Bickel". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "James Francis Hannan Visiting Scholars: Professor Peter J. Bickel". Department of Statistics and Probability, Michigan State University. 2012. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- "Fisher Lecture — Past Award Recipients" (PDF). Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-12. Retrieved 2013-12-08.
- Ritov, Y. A. (2011). "A Random Walk with Drift: Interview with Peter J. Bickel". Statistical Science. 26: 150. arXiv:1106.2881. doi:10.1214/09-STS300.
- Fan, Jianqing; Ritov, Ya'acov; Wu, Chien-Fu, eds. (2012). "Biography of Peter J. Bickel". Selected Works of Peter J. Bickel. Springer. ISBN 9781461455448.