|Governor of Carinthia|
Assumed office |
28 March 2013
Beate Prettner (SPÖ) |
Gaby Schaunig (SPÖ)
|Preceded by||Gerhard Dörfler|
|Chairman of the SPÖ Carinthia|
Assumed office |
|Federal chair||Christian Kern|
|Preceded by||Reinhart Rohr|
4 December 1958|
|Political party||Social Democratic Party|
|Spouse(s)||Larissa Krainer (divorced)|
|Alma mater||University of Klagenfurt|
From 1978 to 1987 Kaiser worked as contract staff for the Carinthian state government, at the same time he studied sociology and Pädagogik at the University of Klagenfurt. In 1988 he became Magister and 5 years later he was promoted to doctor of philosophy.
Kaiser took his first politician position in 1981 as chairman of the Carinthian socialist youth, later in 1986 he became member of the Carinthian Gemeinderat and held this office until 1989. Kaiser was member of the Carinthian Landtag from 1989 to 1994, 1997, 2001 to July 2008, and from November 2005 on as parliamentary leader of the SPÖ. In July 2008 he became state consultant for health and sports. In 2010 Kaiser succeeded Reinhart Rohr (who left the government) as chairman of the SPÖ Carinthia and thus became second deputy governor. Beate Prettner replaced Kaiser in his position as state councilor.
In 3 March 2013 the SPÖ became the biggest party again for the first time since 1994, through Kaiser as their top-candidate after the 2013 Carinthian state elections. Subsequently, he was elected governor by the Carinthian Landtag with 30 of 36 votes, and thus succeeded former officeholder Gerhard Dörfler of the Freedom Party. At his inaugural speech Kaiser spoke some words in Slovenian, the second regional language, he was the first Carinthian head of government to do so. On 2 April 2013 Kaiser was sworn-in as governor of Carinthia by Federal President Heinz Fischer.
At the 2018 Carinthian state elections the SPÖ once again grew bigger by gaining + 10,8 Percent under Kaiser as their top-candidate. On 16 April 2018 he will officially be confirmed in his position by President Alexander Van der Bellen.
Kaiser was married with Larissa Krainer and is father of one son. Besides his political functions Kaiser has been involved for the Carinthian Volleyball union and the Jugendherbergswesen (Hostelling International).
- "Dr. Peter Kaiser, Biografie". www.parlament.gv.at (in German). Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- "Peter Kaiser: 51 Jahre ohne Kärntner Anzug". Die Presse (in German). Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- "Peter Kaiser neuer Landeshauptmann" (in German). 2013-03-28. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- "Kärnten: Cernic und Kaiser neue SP-Regierungsmitglieder". Die Presse (in German). Retrieved 2018-06-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Kaiser.|
- Peter Kaiser on Facebook
- Die Presse: Kärnten: Cernic und Kaiser neue SP-Regierungsmitglieder, from 9. Juli 2008
- Die Presse: Peter Kaiser: 51 Jahre ohne Kärntner Anzug. Porträt, from 24 April 2010
- Peter Kaiser on the sites of the Carinthian government
- Biography, contact details and speeches since 1996 of Peter Kaiser at the Parliament of Austria (German)
- Peter Kaiser on www.meineabgeordneten.at