||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Peter Kaukonen (born September 23, 1945) is an American, San Francisco bay area guitarist/multi-instrumentalist/songwriter. He is the younger brother of Jorma Kaukonen from Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna. Peter Kaukonen has played, toured, and recorded with Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Hot Tuna, Johnny Winter, Link Wray, Terry Allen, Ruthann Friedman (author of "Windy"), as well as his own band, Black Kangaroo.
He plays both acoustic and electric guitars; acoustic and electric bass, mandolin, bouzouki, lap steel guitar and piano. His influences are Chicago and delta blues, fingerpicking guitar, new-age styled acoustic music, rock and roll, jazz and classical music.
Kaukonen's songwriting spans 40 years—from early power trio songs written for Black Kangaroo and covered by Jefferson Airplane to instrumental compositions.
- with Black Kangaroo
- Black Kangaroo – Grunt Records FTR-1006 (1972)
- Black Kangaroo – Wounded Bird 106 (2007)
- "Prisoner" / "Dynamo Snackbar" – Grunt Records single 65-0507 (1972)
- "Up or Down" / "That's a Good Question" – Grunt Records single 65-0510 (1972)
- Going Home – Veldt 1001 (2004)
- Beyond Help – Veldt 1002 (2004)
- The Archives 1976 - 2006 – Veldt 1003 (2006)
- Traveller – Veldt 1004 (2007)
- Guest Appearances
- Blows Against the Empire – RCA Records LSP-4448 (by Paul Kantner and Jefferson Starship) (1970)
- Sunfighter – Grunt Records FTR-1001 (by Paul Kantner and Grace Slick) (1971)
- Be What You Want To – Polydor PD-5047 (by Link Wray) (1973)
- Manhole – Grunt Records BFL1-0347 (by Grace Slick) (1974)
- Juarez – Fate Records (by Terry Allen) (1975)
- Jefferson Airplane – Epic Records 90036 (by Jefferson Airplane) (1989)