Peter King (sportswriter)
June 10, 1957|
Peter King (born June 10, 1957) is an American sportswriter. He wrote for Sports Illustrated from 1989 to 2018, including the weekly multiple-page column Monday Morning Quarterback. He is the author of five books, including Inside the Helmet. He has been named National Sportswriter of the Year three times.
King joined the HBO show Inside the NFL in 2002 as a managing editor and reporter. With the return of NFL programming to NBC for the 2006 season, NBC started a studio show called Football Night in America, set between the end of the Sunday afternoon games, and the primetime Sunday Night Football. King joined the lineup of Bob Costas, Cris Collinsworth, Sterling Sharpe and Jerome Bettis, serving as a special "insider" reporter and analyst for the show, highlighting major topics from that day.
From the 2008 offseason until the fall of 2011, King co-hosted The Opening Drive on Sirius NFL Radio with Randy Cross and Bob Papa. He has been a regular contributor to Chris Russo's Sirius XM show, Mad Dog Unleashed, since 2008. King is also a frequent guest on The Dan Patrick Show and ESPN's Mike and Mike.
King is the author of five books on football: Inside the Helmet (1993), Football: A History of the Professional Game (1993), Football (1997), Greatest Quarterbacks (1999) and Sports Illustrated Monday Morning Quarterback: A fully caffeinated guide to everything you need to know about the NFL (2009).
In 2009, he was awarded the Dick McCann Memorial Award for his work in professional football.
King graduated from Enfield High School in Enfield, Connecticut in 1975. He was a three sports star at Enfield playing soccer, basketball and baseball. He then got his degree from Ohio University's E. W. Scripps School of Journalism. He lives in Montclair, New Jersey, with his wife Ann, who is a native of the Pittsburgh area. They have two daughters; Laura and Mary Beth.
In 1997 King was inducted into the Enfield Athletic Hall of Fame.
- "National Sports Media Association - National Awards". Retrieved 2018-03-07.
- King, Peter (February 13, 2006). "Why Carson finally made it". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2010-01-11.
- Ben Grossman (2006-04-27). "King suits up for Football Night". Broadcasting & Cable.
- "End of an Era: Peter King to Leave Sports Illustrated After 29 Years". SI.com. May 3, 2018. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Pallotta, Frank (May 3, 2018). "Longtime NFL columnist Peter King leaves Sports Illustrated for NBC Sports". CNNMoney. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "N.J. prep athletes to face random steroid testing". Associated Press. 2005-12-20.
- Jensen, Tim (May 31, 2016). "Pair of Enfield Hall of Famers to Be Honored at Cynopsis Sports Business Summit". Patch.com: Enfield, CT. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- "Peter King ...in his own words". PovichCenter.org: Still No Cheering in the Press Box. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- King, Peter (November 7, 2011). "Super deja vu for Manning, Giants in clutch win over Patriots". Monday Morning QB. SI.com. p. 3. Archived from the original on November 7, 2011. Retrieved November 7, 2011.
- Smizik, Bob (February 8, 2012). "About that Hall of Fame voting". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Bob Smizik's Blog. Retrieved July 18, 2018.
- "Enfield Athletic Hall of Fame Class of 1997". enfieldathletichof.org. Retrieved July 18, 2018.