|Member of the New York City Council from the 20th District|
|Assumed office |
January 1, 2010
|Preceded by||John Liu|
|Born||September 5, 1952|
|Political party||Republican (Prior to 2012)|
Democrat (Since 2012)
|Spouse(s)||Bernadette Ching Koo|
|Alma mater||New Mexico College of Pharmacy|
Peter Koo (born September 5, 1952) is an Hong Kong American politician, the Council member for the 20th District of the New York City Council. He is a Democrat. The district includes portions of Bayside, College Point, Flushing, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Fresh Meadows and Whitestone in Queens.
Life and career
Koo is a Hong Kong American born in Shanghai in 1952. Prior to immigrating to the United States in 1971, he lived in the former British Hong Kong. Graduating from the University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy in 1975 where he paid his way through by working minimum wage jobs at Kentucky Fried Chicken and Dunkin Donuts, Koo is a pharmacist who developed a five-store chain of pharmacies called Starside Drugs Pharmacy.
New York City Council
Koo was elected to the city council seat on November 3, 2009, defeating Democratic Party nominee Yen Chou, Working Families Party nominee S.J. Jung, and Green Party nominee Evergreen Chou. He assumed the position that was held by John Liu, the New York City Comptroller.
|2008||General||√ Toby Ann Stavisky (D) 69.44%|
Peter Koo (R) 30.56%
|2009||General||√ Peter Koo (R) 49.05%|
Yen S. Chou (D) 45.24%
S.J. Jung (Working Families) 4.06%
Evergreen Chou (Green) 1.64%
|2013||General||√ Peter Koo (D) 79.67%|
Martha Flores-Vazqeuz (Jobs & Education) 10.38%
Sunny Hahn (Reform) 6.40%
Evergreen Chou (Green) 3.38%
Koo serves on the following New York City Council committees:
- Consumer Affairs and Business Licensing
- Economic Development
- Land Use
- Landmarks, Public Siting, and Maritime Uses (subcommittee of Land Use Committee)
- Parks and Recreation
- Technology (He serves as chair of this committee.)
Peter has been married for 26 years and has two children, a boy and a girl.
- "Our Campaigns - Candidate - Peter Koo". www.ourcampaigns.com. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- Victor G. Mimoni (March 12, 2008). "Community activist Peter Koo challenges Stavisky". The Queens Courier. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- Liz Rhoades (October 29, 2009). "Can Republican Koo beat Flushing Dem?". Queens Chronicle. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- "Queens City Councilman Peter Koo Defects to Democrats". DNAinfo. January 23, 2012. Archived from the original on September 25, 2015. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- Colangelo, Lisa L. (January 23, 2012). "Queens Councilman Peter Koo flips from Republican to Democrat". Daily News. New York.
- Connor Adams Sheets (November 4, 2009). "Republican Peter Koo defeats Chou in Flushing Council race". Boro Politics. Retrieved November 20, 2009.
- "New York Council". Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "District 20". Peter Koo. Retrieved April 25, 2018.
- Councilman Peter Koo (official site)
- @CMPeterKoo (official Twitter)
- Re-elect Peter Koo for City Council (campaign site)
| New York City Council, 20th District