顧雅明 Gù Yǎmíng
|Member of the New York City Council from the 20th District|
January 1, 2010
|Preceded by||John Liu|
January 12, 1952 |
|Political party||Republican (Prior to 2012)
Democrat (Since 2012)
|Spouse(s)||Bernadette Ching Koo|
|Alma mater||New Mexico College of Pharmacy|
Peter Koo (born January 12, 1952) is an American politician, the Council member for the 20th District of the New York City Council. He is a Democrat. The district includes portions of Bayside, College Point, Flushing, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, Fresh Meadows and Whitestone in Queens.
Life and career
Koo is a Chinese American born in Shanghai, China, in 1952. Prior to immigrating to the United States in 1971, he lived in Hong Kong. Graduating from the New Mexico College of Pharmacy in 1975 where he paid his way through by working minimum wage jobs at Kentucky Fried Chicken and Dunkin Donuts, Koo is a pharmacist who developed a five-store chain of pharmacies called Starside Drugs Pharmacy.
New York City Council
Koo was elected to the city council seat on 3 November 2009, defeating Democratic Party nominee Yen Chou, Working Families Party nominee S.J. Jung, and Green Party nominee Evergreen Chou. He assumed the position that was held by John Liu, the New York City Comptroller.
|2008||General||√ Toby Ann Stavisky (D) 69.44%
Peter Koo (R) 30.56%
|2009||General||√ Peter Koo (R) 49.05%
Yen S. Chou (D) 45.24%
S.J. Jung (Working Families) 4.06%
Evergreen Chou (Green) 1.64%
|2013||General||√ Peter Koo (D) 79.67%
Martha Flores-Vazqeuz (Jobs & Education) 10.38%
Sunny Hahn (Reform) 6.40%
Evergreen Chou (Green) 3.38%
Peter has been married for 26 years and has two children, a boy and a girl.
- Victor G. Mimoni (12 March 2008). "Community activist Peter Koo challenges Stavisky". The Queens Courier. Retrieved 20 November 2009.
- Liz Rhoades (29 October 2009). "Can Republican Koo beat Flushing Dem?". Queens Chronicle. Retrieved 20 November 2009.
- "Queens City Councilman Peter Koo Defects to Democrats". DNAinfo. 2012-01-23. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- Colangelo, Lisa L. (23 January 2012). "Queens Councilman Peter Koo flips from Republican to Democrat". Daily News. New York.
- Connor Adams Sheets (4 November 2009). "Republican Peter Koo defeats Chou in Flushing Council race". Boro Politics. Retrieved 20 November 2009.
- "New York Council". Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- Councilman Peter Koo (official site)
- @CMPeterKoo (official Twitter)
- Re-elect Peter Koo for City Council (campaign site)
|New York City Council, 20th District