Peter Lang (publisher)
|Founded||1970Frankfurt am Main, Germany,|
|Country of origin||Switzerland|
|Headquarters location||Pieterlen and Bern|
|Publication types||Books, academic journals, textbooks|
Peter Lang is an international academic publisher specializing in the humanities and social sciences. The global publishing group has its headquarters in Pieterlen and Bern, Switzerland, with publishing houses located in Bern, Brussels, Frankfurt am Main, New York, Oxford, Vienna and Warsaw.
Peter Lang publishes over 1,800 academic titles annually, both in print and digital formats, with a backlist of over 55,000 books. It has its complete online journals collection available on ingentaconnect and distributes its digital textbooks globally through Kortext.
Areas of publication
The Peter Lang Publishing Group specializes in the following twelve subject areas:
- Economics and Management
- English Language and Literatures
- German Language and Literatures
- Media and Communication
- Romance Languages and Literatures
Founded in Frankfurt am Main in 1970 by Swiss editor Peter Lang († 2001), who came from a family of renowned Swiss booksellers and publishers, the press started as an academic publisher specialising in PhD theses and similar academic volumes. Established in 1982, Peter Lang Publishing USA is the North American division of the Peter Lang Publishing Group. Headquartered in downtown Manhattan, the publishing office specializes in the publication of award-winning textbooks in education, media and communication, and Black studies for classroom use, as well as monographs in the humanities and social sciences. Peter Lang’s UK office was set up in Canterbury in 1996. In 2012, the UK operation moved into its present offices in central Oxford, at the heart of the academic and publishing community. It also has a commissioning presence in Ireland, working out of Dublin. The Oxford office publishes a wide range of academic titles with particular strengths in modern languages, Theology, Education, and new emerging disciplines in Film Studies and Queer Studies. The publishing office in Brussels, PIE-Peter Lang, evolved from the takeover by the Peter Lang Publishing Group of Presses Interuniversitaires Européennes (PIE), a Belgian publishing house founded in 1985. The Brussels office specializes in publications in History, European Studies, Politics and International Relations.
Today, the headquarters of the Peter Lang Publishing Group are located in Pieterlen and Bern, Switzerland with publishing offices located in Bern, Brussels, Frankfurt am Main, New York, Oxford, Vienna and Warsaw.
- Peter Lang Website
- "Peter Lang Academic Publishing Group". IngentaConnect. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- Peter Lang Press Releases
- "Peter Lang und Kortext kooperieren". BuchMarkt. 2014-11-25. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "Gedruckt wird das Werk nur ehrenhalber". Berliner Zeitung. 1996-11-28. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- "Critics Choice Awards". American Educational Studies Association. Retrieved 2015-03-13.
- Peter Lang Publishing USA
- "Peter Lang Publishing". American Libraries Buyers Guide. 2010-10-06. Retrieved 2010-10-12.
- "Peter Lang". YBP Library Services. Retrieved 2015-03-12.
- Peter Lang Publishing UK and Ireland
- Peter Lang Publishing Brussels