|Born||September 13, 1965|
|Associated acts||Peter Schindler|
Peter Lehel was born in Karlsruhe in the Upper Rhine Plain in (Baden-Württemberg). He began taking saxophone lessons at an early age. From 1988 to 1990 he studied Jazz and Pop music, focusing on saxophone at the State University of Music and Performing Arts Stuttgart. Until 1990 he lived in Budapest for one year, where he studied at the Franz Liszt Academy of Music and he completed his studies in Stuttgart in 1993.
His music includes works for jazz quartet, saxophone quartet, big band, saxophone & organ, string quartet, jazz quartet with string orchestra, chamber music and symphony orchestra with jazz soloists.
As an arranger, he has worked for Barbara Dennerlein (CD "Change of Pace"), Sabine Meyer, Trio Clarone with Paquito & d.. Rivera.
Lehel is leader of his own groups such as Peter Lehel Quartet, and he is a member of:
- Pipes & Phones with the organist and composer Peter Schindler
- SaltaCello (also with Peter Schindler)
- Hoppel Hoppel Rhythm Club (jazz for children)
- Choro e Bossa Nova (2009), with Wolfgang Meyer
- Boleros (2007), with Wolfgang Meyer
- Soul Balance (2007)
- Recht harmonisch (2005)
- Live At Birdland 59 (2004)
- Ballads (2001)
- Heavy Rotation (1998)
- 1997 Jazzpreis (Jazz prize) Baden-Württemberg
- 2000 Preis der deutschen Schallplattenkritik
- 2006 Preis der deutschen Schallplattenkritik