Peter Leonard attending the 75th birthday celebrations for Canberra radio station 2CA on 14 November 2006
21 February 1942|
Yass, New South Wales
|Died||23 September 2008
Mawson, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
|Cause of death||Mesothelioma|
|Parent(s)||Evelyn and Frank Leonard|
Peter Antony Leonard (21 February 1942 – 23 September 2008) was an Australian journalist and newsreader. He was born in Yass, New South Wales, the son of a Greek immigrant father who died when Peter was 17. He was educated at Yass Primary School then at Canberra Grammar School as a boarder. The family moved to Canberra in 1956.
Leonard had a number of jobs over his 45-year career history, commencing it at Canberra radio station 2CA in 1962, initially as a cadet copywriter and later as an announcer and newsreader. He moved to ABC Canberra in 1982 as a radio newsreader and later television newsreader and weather presenter. However, in his most recognisable role, Leonard presented WIN News in Canberra from 1991 until 20 July 2007.
He was an active participant in several charitable organisations. From 1989 to 1998 he was on the board of the ACT Cancer Council and also served on the board of the ACT Multiple Sclerosis Society. He became Honorary Ambassador for Canberra and the Canberra Citizen of the Year for 1991 in recognition of his community service and charity work.
In December 2007 he won the Chief Minister-Public Relations Institute of Australia (ACT Division) Award for Community Media. He was the first individual to receive the award.
Leonard was diagnosed with mesothelioma in January 2008 and died on 23 September 2008, aged 66. He was survived by his wife Gwen, children Matthew, Nathan and Natasha and grandchildren, Rachel, Phoebe, Sarah, Madeline, Nicholas and Thomas.
The funeral service for Peter Leonard was held on 29 September 2008, at All Saints Church of England, Ainslie. Family, friends and colleagues were among those in attendance.
It was announced (at the funeral service) in September 2008 that a journalism scholarship funded by the ACT Government and WIN-TV would be named in his honour.
Peter Leonard Scholarship
The Peter Leonard Scholarship aims to recognise the extraordinary talents of some University of Canberra Journalism students each year. Winners receive $5000 and a two-week internship at WIN Television in Canberra. At least two runners-up each receive $1000 and a one-week internship at WIN.
2009 — Andrew Day, Kevin Room and Rahima Saikal
2010 — Ewan Gilbert and Lucy Zelic
2011 — Grace Keyworth and Alana Shegog
2012 — Dion Pretorius and Olivia Neethyrajah
2013 — Madeleine Bolas and Charlene Broad
|WIN News Canberra Newsreader
- "Oral History Sound Recordings" (PDF). National Film and Sound Archive. April 2002.
- Warden, Ian (2002-08-01). "Pessimism for unique Canberra". Canberra Times.
- "Newsreader Leonard dies aged 66". ABC News. 2008-09-24.
- Low, Claire (2008-09-24). "Tributes for newsreader Leonard". Canberra Times.
- Downie, Graham (2008-09-25). "Voice of Canberra resonated far and wide". Canberra Times.
- "Media legend recognised for service to ACT community". Jon Stanhope, MLA : Media Releases. 2007-12-17.
- "Scholarship to honour Leonard". ABC News. 2008-09-30.
- Powell, Amanda (2009-10-07). "Passionate journalist awarded WIN's new scholarship". University of Canberra.
- Powell, Amanda (2010-11-30). "Philip Prior awarded Peter Leonard Scholarship". University of Canberra.
- Rose, Sandy (2010-11-21). "Gabrielle Adams wins Peter Leonard Scholarship". University of Canberra.
- Murray, Victoria (2012-11-28). "UC students win prestigious media scholarships". University of Canberra. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- Hollands, Lauren (2014-07-07). "Katarina Slavich awarded TV scholarship". University of Canberra. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- ABC News: Hundreds pay tribute to newsreader Leonard
- YouTube: Peter Leonard — WIN News Farewell - Final Bulletin (20/07/2007)
- YouTube: Peter Leonard — WIN News Tribute - Opener and Feature Story (24/09/2008)
- YouTube: Peter Leonard — WIN News Tribute - Closer(24/09/2008)
- YouTube: Peter Leonard — WIN News Tribute - Funeral Coverage(29/09/2008)