|Birth name||Peter Machajdik|
|Born||1 June 1961|
Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, Slovakia
|Genres||Classical, Contemporary classical music, Film music|
|Labels||Decca Records, Azyl Music, Musica slovaca, Albany Records, Amadeus Arte, Pavlik Records, Czech Radio|
Machajdik has composed music in nearly all genres, including orchestra, band, chorus, chamber music, works for solo instrument, works for piano and organ, as well as liturgical works and hymns. His music is published primarily by Musica Slovaca, Alea Publishing, Zimbel Press, and Edition Hudba.
Peter Machajdík's music often asks questions about the society in which we live. It calls for humanity and responsibility that human beings should have to each other and to the world.
Machajdik's orchestral works have been premiered by the Janáček Philharmonic Orchestra, State Philharmonic Orchestra of Košice, Pomeranian Philharmonic, Lugansk Symphony Orchestra, Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra, Slovak Chamber Orchestra, Camerata Europea, Capella Istropolitana, Ensemble Metamorphosis, Cluster Ensemble, and many others. He has also worked with Jon Anderson from Yes, harpist Floraleda Sacchi, vocalist & drummer David Moss, clarinetists Martin Adámek and Guido Arbonelli, and violist Sasha Mirković just to name a few.
Film credits include Machajdik’s scores for 4 Schüler gegen Stalin (2005), Wild Slovakia (2015) and Miloš and the Lynxes (2010). Machajdik has worked with choreographers and dancers such as Dorothea Rust, Studio tanca, Petra Fornayova, Tina Mantel, Lucia Kašiarová, and others.
Peter Machajdík is currently Visiting Professor at the Faculty of Arts in Košice.
- 1-9-1-8 for violin and piano (2018)
- Z luhů a hájů, riek a hör (From the Woods and Fields, Rivers and Mountains) for orchestra (2 fl, ob, 2 cl in Bb , fgt , corno in F, arpa, pf, strings) (2018) c. 8 mins. Composed on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the creation of Czechoslovakia
- Signes de la mémoire for clarinet, violin, cello and piano (2017) c. 8 mins
- Guitar quintet The Son, for guitar and string quartet (2017) c. 10 mins
- In Embrace for double bass and piano (2017) c. 11 mins
- Mit den Augen eines Falken for mandolin and guitar (2017) c. 11 mins
- Behind the Waves for viola and string orchestra (2016) c. 12 mins
- Portus pacis for organ (2016) 9 mins
- Abandoned Gates for piano and string quartet (2016) 13 mins
- Seas and Deserts for string quartet and audio-playback (2015) 12 mins
- Ich war in dir for soprano and cello (2015)
- Danube Afterpoint for piccolo, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, two pianos and string quartet (2015) 15 mins
- Effugium for accordion and audio-playback (2015) 8 mins
- Senahh for flute and piano (2015)
- Green for accordion (2015)
- Turbulent Times for timpani, snare drum, large drum and string orchestra (2014)
- Spomaleniny for violin and piano (2014)
- Munk for viola and piano (2013)
- Wie der Wind in den Dünen for string orchestra (2011)
- The Immanent Velvet for piano (2011)
- Kyrie for mixed choir a cappella (SATB) (2011)
- Pictures of a Changing Sensibility for violin and piano (2011)
- Linnas for piano (2011)
- Domine for mixed choir (SATB) and tubular bells (2011)
- Flower full of Gardens for harp or harpsichord (2010)
- San José for large orchestra (2010)
- Zem zeme for clarinet quartet (2009)
- Concerto for 2 bayans and orchestra, dedicated to all of those who helped to remove „the iron curtain“ and the communistic regimes in the central part of Europe in the 1989 (2008)
- On the Seven Colours of Light for organ (2007)
- Iese for flute solo (2007) c. 5 mins
- To the Rainbow So Close Again for string quartet (2004)
- Nell'autunno del suo abbraccio insonne for harp (2004)
- Obscured Temptations for piano (2003)
- Si diligamus invicem for mixed choir a cappella (SATB) (2002)
- Namah for string orchestra (2000)
- Lasea for string orchestra (2000)
- Kirin for oboe solo (1999/2001)
- Wrieskalotkipaoxq for saxophone quartet (1996)
- 1995: THE ReR QUARTERLY © QUARTERLY, ReR Volume 4 No 1 CD - ReR 0401 Recommended Records
- 2003: NAMASTE SUITE (Guido Arbonelli - clarinets) © Mnemes HCD 102
- 2008: NUOVE MUSICE PER TROMBA 6 (Ivano Ascari - trumpet) © AZ 5005
- 2008: THE HEALING HEATING (R(A)DIO(CUSTICA) SELECTED 2008) © Czech Radio
- 2008: NAMAH feat. Floraleda Sacchi, Jon Anderson, David Moss © musica slovaca SF 00542131
- 2009: MINIMAL HARP (Floraleda Sacchi - harp). Works by Arvo Pärt, John Cage, Philip Glass, György Ligeti, Peter Machajdík, Lou Harrison, Nicola Campogrande) © DECCA / Universal 476 317
- 2011: INSIDE THE TREE (Machajdík's music for cello, harp and electronics) © Amadeus Arte Catalogue No. AA11003
- 2012: CZECHOSLOVAK CHAMBER DUO (Dvořák / Machajdík / Schneider-Trnavský) Czech Radio, Catalogue No. #CR0591-2
- 2012: A MARVELOUS LOVE - New Music for Organ (Carson Cooman plays compositions by Peter Machajdík, Patricia Van Ness, Jim Dalton, Tim Rozema, Al Benner, Thomas Åberg, and Harold Stover), Albany Records, Catalogue No. TROY1357
- 2012: THE IMMANENT VELVET (Machajdík's chamber music for piano, guitar, cello, harp and strings), Azyl Records, Catalogue No. R266-0024-2-331
- 2015: ELEKTRICKÁ GITARA (Machajdík's 12 minute composition LET for electric guitar, and works by composers such as Luciano Berio, Daniel Matej, Boško Milaković, Juraj Vajó, Pavol Bizoň, Ivan Buffa), Hevhetia, Catalogue No. HV 0070-2-331
- 2018: FRIENDS IN COMMON TIME (Works by Peter Machajdík, Tor Brevik, Francis Kayali, Adrienne Albert, Peter Kutt, Andre Caplet, Kevin W. Walker, Alexander Timofeev) Catalogue No. © Copyright - Rebecca Jeffreys (700261465210)
- 2018: BIRDS (Finnish harpsichordist Elina Mustonen plays works by Peter Machajdík, François Couperin, Jean-Philippe Rameau, William Byrd, Olli Mustonen) © Fuga 9447, EAN: 6419369094478
On the 2008 CD NAMAH, Machajdík worked with singer Jon Anderson from Yes, harpist Floraleda Sacchi, vocalist & drummer David Moss, clarinet virtuoso Guido Arbonelli, cello player Jozef Lupták, and others.
- "Alea Publishing".
- "Zimbel Press".
- "Biography". Archived from the original on 26 January 2011.
- "Pomeranian Philharmonic".
- "4 Schüler gegen Stalin".
- "Wild Slovakia".
- "Miloš and the Lynxes". Archived from the original on 10 November 2010.
- "Ich war in dir".
- "Double Bayan Concerto".
- "CD Album NAMAH".
- "CD Album INSIDE THE TREE".
- "CD Album THE IMMANENT VELVET".
- "CD Album ELEKTRICKÁ GITARA".
- "CD Album FRIENDS IN COMMON TIME".
- "CD Album BIRDS".
- Interview with Peter Machajdík
- Music Centre Slovakia (English)
- CD The Immanent Velvet
- CD Namah
- CD Minimal Harp
- Jan Levoslav Bella Preis 2006
- 1992 electronic music presentation
- Jon Anderson & Peter Machajdik "live"
- The Healing Heating
- Torsten Möller, Kunsu Shim, Gerhard Stäbler: SoundVisions (2005) - ISBN 3-89727-272-5
- Zuzana Martináková: Slovak Composers after 1900 (2002) - ISBN 80-89078-02-8
- Július Fujak: Musical Correla(c)tivity (2005) - ISBN 80-8050-870-4
- Michal Murin: Avalanches 1990-95 (2002) - ISBN 80-967206-4-3
- Marián Jurík, Peter Zagar: 100 slovenských skladateľov (1998) - ISBN 80-967799-6-6
- Slovenská hudba Slovenská hudba včera a dnes (1997) - ISSN 1335-2458
- Július Fujak & kol. Slovenské hudobné alternatívy (2006) - ISBN 80-8050-944-1