|Member of the Canadian Parliament
|Preceded by||new riding|
|Succeeded by||Mark Eyking|
August 1, 1956 |
Westmount, Nova Scotia
|Political party||New Democratic Party|
|Residence||Dartmouth, Nova Scotia|
Peter Mancini (born August 1, 1956) is a Canadian politician and lawyer. Mancini was elected to the Canadian House of Commons in the 1997 federal election that saw a breakthrough for the New Democratic Party in the province of Nova Scotia. He served as the NDP's justice critic in the 36th Canadian Parliament. Mancini represented the riding of Sydney—Victoria until the 2000 federal election when he was defeated by Liberal Mark Eyking. He moved to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia following his electoral defeat. He was unsuccessful in his attempt at a comeback in the 2006 federal election in the riding of Dartmouth—Cole Harbour losing to incumbent Michael Savage by just over 4,000 votes.
Born in Westmount, Nova Scotia, Mancini was educated at Dalhousie University, where he was a member of the Dalhousie Senate and Vice President of the Student Council. He graduated from Dalhousie Law School in 1982. He has worked for Nova Scotia Legal Aid in criminal and family law since 1986 save for one year when he taught at the University College of Cape Breton and his years in parliament.
Mancini received over 50% of the popular vote in 1997. It was during his time as MP that the Liberal Government announced the shutdown of the coal mines run by the Cape Breton Development Corporation. Mancini and other political leaders fought for increased pension packages for the workers and an economic diversification fund. He was the MP when the federal government began a remediation program for the Sydney Tar Ponds. When Robert Chisholm resigned as leader of the Nova Scotia NDP in 1999, Mancini was seen as a possible front runner for the post but declined to run.
- "Mancini promises to fight for jobs". The Chronicle Herald. June 3, 1997. Archived from the original on November 30, 2001. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- "NDP's Mancini loses to Liberal farmer Eyking". The Chronicle Herald. November 28, 2000. Archived from the original on January 24, 2005. Retrieved 2014-09-29.
- Peter Mancini – Parliament of Canada biography
- Riding history for Dartmouth—Cole Harbour (2003– ) from the Library of Parliament
- "Candidate profiles, Canada Votes 2006". CBC. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- "Panelists' Professional Biographies". Courts of Nova Scotia. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- Riding history for Sydney—Victoria (1996– ) from the Library of Parliament
- "Mancini bows out of race". The Daily News. Halifax. February 19, 2000.
- "Cape Breton lawyer among Queen's Counsel honourees". Cape Breton Post. December 12, 2014. Retrieved 2014-12-13.
- "NDP candidate Mancini wins hotly contested byelection race in Dartmouth South". Cape Breton Post. July 14, 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-15.