Maurer studied History and International Law in Berne, and was awarded a PhD.
In 1987, Maurer entered the Swiss Diplomatic Service (Federal Department of Foreign Affairs), where he held various positions in Berne and Pretoria, before being transferred to New York in 1996 as Deputy Permanent Observer at the Swiss Mission to the United Nations. In 2000, he was appointed Ambassador and head of the division in charge of human security at the headquarters of Switzerland's Foreign Ministry in Berne.
In 2004, Maurer was appointed Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Switzerland to the United Nations in New York. In this position, he endeavoured to integrate Switzerland, which had only recently joined the United Nations, into multilateral networks. In June 2009, the General Assembly elected Maurer Chairman of the Fifth Committee, in charge of United Nations administrative and budgetary affairs. In addition, he was elected Chairman of the Burundi Configuration of the UN Peacebuilding Commission. In January 2010, Maurer became Switzerland's State Secretary for Foreign Affairs, a position he held until he was elected President of the ICRC.
Since 2012, Maurer has led the ICRC through an historic budget increase, from 1.1bn CHF in 2011 to over 1.6bn CHF in 2015.
- World Economic Forum (WEF), Member of the Board (since 2014)
- World Economic Forum (WEF), Co-Chair of the Global Future Council on the Future of the Humanitarian System
Maurer is married and is the father of two children.
- "The president and vice-president of the ICRC". 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "ICRC names new president". 2011. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "Peter Maurer of Switzerland Chair of Fifth Committee". 2009. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "ICRC Finances". 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "Peter Maurer Joins Foundation Board, World Economic Forum". 2015. Archived from the original on 4 November 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Global Future Council: The Future of the Humanitarian System World Economic Forum.
- UN, 15 September 2009. PETER MAURER OF SWITZERLAND CHAIR OF FIFTH COMMITTEE
- ICRC, 19 October 2011. ICRC names new president
- ICRC, 7 September 2012. Syria: ICRC president concludes visit amid relentless fighting
- WEF, 3 November 2014. Peter Maurer Joins Foundation Board, World Economic Forum
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Maurer.|