Peter Maurer (born 1956) is the president of the International Committee of the Red Cross, appointed 1 July 2012. Since taking over the presidency of the ICRC, he has led the organization through a historic budget increase, from 1.1bn CHF in 2011 to over 1.6bn CHF in 2015. On 3 November 2014 Maurer was elected as a new member of the Foundation Board of the World Economic Forum.
Peter Maurer was born in Thun, Switzerland. He studied history and international law in Berne, where he was awarded a PhD. In 1987 he entered the Swiss diplomatic service (Federal Department of Foreign Affairs), where he held various positions in Berne and Pretoria before being transferred to New York in 1996 as deputy permanent observer at the Swiss mission to the United Nations. In 2000 he was appointed ambassador and head of the division in charge of human security at the headquarters of Switzerland's foreign ministry in Berne.
In 2004 Maurer was appointed ambassador and permanent representative of Switzerland to the United Nations in New York. In this position, he endeavoured to integrate Switzerland, which had only recently joined the United Nations, into multilateral networks. In June 2009, the General Assembly elected Maurer chairman of the Fifth Committee, in charge of UN administrative and budgetary affairs. In addition, he was elected chairman of the Burundi Configuration of the UN Peacebuilding Commission. In January 2010 Maurer became Switzerland's State secretary for foreign affairs, a position he held until he was elected President of the ICRC.
Maurer is married and is the father of two children.
- "The president and vice-president of the ICRC". 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "ICRC Finances". 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "Peter Maurer Joins Foundation Board, World Economic Forum". 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "ICRC names new president". 2011. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- "Peter Maurer of Switzerland Chair of Fifth Committee". 2009. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- UN, 15 September 2009. PETER MAURER OF SWITZERLAND CHAIR OF FIFTH COMMITTEE
- ICRC, 19 October 2011. ICRC names new president
- ICRC, 7 September 2012. Syria: ICRC president concludes visit amid relentless fighting
- WEF, 3 November 2014. Peter Maurer Joins Foundation Board, World Economic Forum
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Maurer.|