Peter Robert McEnery
21 February 1940
Peter Robert McEnery (born 21 February 1940) is an English stage and film actor.
His younger brothers are actor John and the photographer David.
McEnery was notably featured in Victim, a 1961 British neo noir suspense film directed by Basil Dearden in which McEnery plays Barrett, a young working-class gay man who falls prey to blackmailers after he and the title character are photographed in an intimate embrace. McEnery was also recognized for having given Hayley Mills her first grown-up screen kiss in the 1964 film The Moon-Spinners. In 1966 he took the lead in the Disney live action adventure film, The Fighting Prince of Donegal. He played Edwin Clayhanger in the television dramatisation of the novels by Arnold Bennett with support from Janet Suzman, Harry Andrews and Clive Swift.
As an actor for the Royal Shakespeare Company he played the title role in Ron Daniel's 1979 production of Pericles, Prince of Tyre at The Other Place and played several roles in the 1982 epic production of Nicholas Nickleby for the same company. In 1981 he played Oberon in the BBC Television Shakespeare production of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Another notable stage role was that of the surgeon Treves in the National Theatre's 1980 production of The Elephant Man.
McEnery married Julie Peasgood in 1978. They met in 1975 when she played a maid called Ada in the Clayhanger television series in which McEnery starred. Their daughter Kate, born in 1981, is also an actress. They later divorced.
- Beat Girl (1960) - Tony
- Tunes of Glory (1960) - 2nd Lieutenant David MacKinnon
- Victim (1961) - Jack 'Boy' Barrett
- The Moon-Spinners (1964) - Mark Camford
- The Game Is Over (1966) - Maxime Saccard
- The Fighting Prince of Donegal (1966) - "Red" Hugh O'Donnell
- I Killed Rasputin (1967) - Felix Yusupov
- The Other People (1968) - Peter
- Negatives (1968) - Theo
- Better a Widow (1968) - Tom Proby
- The Adventures of Gerard (1970) - Col. Etienne Gerard (Hussars of Conflans)
- Entertaining Mr Sloane (1970) - Mr Sloane
- Atlantic Wall (1970) - Jeff
- Tales That Witness Madness (1973) - Timothy (segment "Penny Farthing")
- Footprints on the Moon (1975) - Henry
- The Cat and the Canary (1978) - Charlie Wilder
- Lucky Punch (1996) - Flaherty
- The Clayhanger Family (1976) - Edwin Clayhanger
- The Aphrodite Inheritance (1979, TV Mini-Series, BBC) - David Collier
- The Hammer House of Horror (1980, Episode: "The Mark of Satan") - Edwyn
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (1981, TV Movie, Oberon, BBC) - Oberon
- The Mistress (1985, BBC) - Luke #2 (1987)
- The Collectors (1986, BBC) - Harry Caines
- Inspector Morse (1988, ITV) - Donald Phillipson
- "The Day Hayley got in a Hearse", Photoplay, August 1964.
- Leonard Maltin (7 September 1995). The Disney Films. Disney Editions. ISBN 978-0-7868-8137-6.
- Ellen Baskin (1996). Serials on British Television, 1950-1994. Scolar Press. ISBN 978-1-85928-015-7.
- Country Life. Country Life, Limited. August 1980.