Peter McIntyre (artist)
Peter McIntyre OBE (4 July 1910 – 11 September 1995) was a New Zealand painter and author. He was the son of Peter McIntyre, a lithographic artist from Scotland, and his wife, Isabella Edith Cubitt.
McIntyre was born in Dunedin and attended Otago Boys' High School and the University of Otago. He attended the Slade School of Fine Art in London and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts. He worked as free-lance commercial artist in Britain, and married Lillian Welbourn. In 1939 he enlisted in the Second New Zealand Expeditionary Force (2NZEF), in England, trained with the New Zealand Anti-Tank Battery (later numbered the 34th) at Aldershot, and served as an anti-tank gunner with the 2NZEF in Egypt, from April 1940. He was appointed the official New Zealand war artist and promoted to the rank of captain by Major General Bernard Freyberg in January 1941, recording the 2NZEF in Crete, North Africa and Italy.
Returning to Dunedin in 1946, he remarried to Patricia Miles, and moved to Wellington. He was a professional portrait and landscape painter, critical of modernism and modern art. He was successful in art competitions, and was a popular painter in Australia and the United States, as well as New Zealand.
In 1968 he published The Painted Years and he published several more books. Peter McIntyre's New Zealand (1964) sold out in six days and remained in print for 20 years.
- Southern People: A dictionary of Otago Southland biography. Longacre Press Dunedin & Dunedin City Council. 1998. p. 307,308. ISBN 1 877135 119.
- Peter McIntyre's New Zealand - A.H. & A. W. Reed, 1964.
- The Painted Years - Sydney: Reed, 1967. Hard Cover. Rep. 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" Tall. 218pp.
- Peter McIntyre's Pacific - A.H. & A. W. Reed, 1966.
- Peter McIntyre's West - A.H. & A. W. Reed, 1970.
- Kakahi: New Zealand - Wellington, AH and AW Reed, 1973. 
- Peter McIntyre's Wellington - Reed, 1975 72p Size: 4to
- McIntyre's Country - Reed, 1979 76p Size 4to. 16 Illustrations, many sketches
- War Artist - A H & A W Reed Wellington NZ 1st edition 1981 Hard cover dust wrapper long 8vo 239pp colour and b&w reproductions of artworks and b&w photos.
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography
- Works by Peter McIntyre in the collection of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa
- Peter McIntyre OBE: New Zealand exhibitions, biography and works for sale
- Peter McIntyre paintings currently for sale
- A brief article about Peter from NZ Tourism Board
- Peter McIntyre's war art online by Archives NZ