Peter Meineck (born 1967) is professor of Classics in the Modern World at New York University. He is also the founder and public program director of Aquila Theatre and has held appointments at Princeton University and USC.
Peter Meineck was born in Melton Mowbray, England and grew up in New Malden. His earned a BA (Hons) in Ancient World Studies in the departments of Greek and Latin at University College London and his PhD in Classics at the University of Nottingham. He worked extensively in London theatre and founded Aquila Theatre in 1991. His stated aim with Aquila is to bring the greatest works to the greatest number and he has developed a sixty-seventy city American tour that brings classical drama to communities of all sizes across the USA.
Meineck translated the opera libretto for Cherubini’s Medee performed at Carnegie Hall and wrote and directed a new stage adaptation of Joseph Heller's Catch-22. He was a consultant on the film I Am Legend. Directing projects include Aquila Theatre's Catch-22 He is currently Professor of Classics In the Modern World at New York University and has held teaching posts at Princeton University, NYU's Tisch School of the Arts and USC. He is director of Aquila Theatre's public programming and has implemented arts and humanities programs aimed at veteran and civilian dialogues, At Risk students in Harlem and The Bronx and underserved communities via public libraries.
Marriage and children
Meineck married ballerina Desiree Sanchez in 2004.
- 1999: USC Honors College Mortar Board Teaching Award
- 2000: Louis Galantiere Award for Oresteia, American Translators Association
- 2009: New York University Arts and Science Golden Dozen Teaching Award
- 2010: National Endowment for the Humanities Chairman's Special Award.
- 2011: American Philological Association Award for Outreach.
- Oresteia, with Helene P Foley (Hackett Publishing Company, 1998)
- Aristophanes 1 : The Clouds, Wasps, Birds (Hackett, 1998)
- Oedipus Tyrannus with Paul Woodruff (Hackett, 2000)
- Clouds (Hackett, 2000)
- The trials of Socrates : six classic texts, with C D C Reeve and James Doyle (Hackett, 2002)
- Theban Plays with Paul Woodruff (Hackett, 2003)
- Four Tragedies: Electra, Philoctetes, Ajax, The Women of Trachis with Paul Woodruff (Hackett, 2007)
- The Electra Plays: with Paul Woodruff and Cecelia Eaton Luschnig(Hackett, 2009)
- Combat Trauma and The Ancient Greeks, with David Konstan, Palgrave MacMillan, 2014.
- Philoctetes, Hackett Publishing Company, 2014
- "NYU > Classics > Peter Meineck".
- Hedges, Chris (1999-12-01). "Stealing Fire From Olympus Staging the Greeks With High Voltage and Modern Energy". The New York Times.
- Hedges, Chris (2001-04-01). "Troupers on a Never-Ending Tour". The New York Times.
- Phythyon Jr., John. R. (2008-03-02). "'Catch-22' a nearly perfect adaptation". The Lawrence Journal-World & News.
- Koppel, Lily (2004-11-14). "Vows: Desiree Sanchez and Peter Meineck". The New York Times.
- Nelson, Max (2000-08-03). "Peter Meineck (trans.), Aristophanes' Clouds (with an introduction by Ian C. Storey).". Bryn Mawr Classical Review.
- Blondell, Ruby (2004-07-65). "Peter Meineck, Paul Woodruff, Sophocles: The Theban Plays. Translated, with Introduction and Notes.". Bryn Mawr Classical Review. Check date values in: