Peter Milton Walsh
Peter Milton Walsh
|Genres||Chamber pop, post-punk, alternative|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, writer, composer, arranger|
|Instruments||Guitar, piano, bass guitar, vocals|
|Labels||Riley Records, Chapter Music, Talitres|
|Associated acts||The Apartments, Out of Nowhere, Laughing Clowns, The Go-Betweens|
Peter Milton Walsh is an Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist best known for his band, The Apartments.
The Go-Betweens, a Brisbane band Walsh was a member of briefly, wrote “Don't Let Him Come Back” commemorating Walsh's style and his time with them "Here he comes, with his twelve o’clock junk...who's that dressed in black? Who's that in his apartment?" This song, still performed by Robert Forster, was covered by Jay Reatard in 2008.
The close connection continued with Walsh writing liner notes Volume 1 and Volume 2 of G Stands for Go-Betweens: The Go-Betweens Anthology, the only writer to appear on both volumes.   As an ex-band member and close confidant of Robert Forster and Grant McLennan, Walsh also appeared in the Kriv Stenders documentary Right Here. 
Personal circumstances saw Walsh remove himself from public life in 1997, at which point he stopped recording and touring. He resumed international performances in 2009 in France, having taken part in the 2007 Pig City: Brisbane's Historical Soundtrack a one-day music festival held as part of the Queensland Music Festival . From that point onwards Walsh has released a range of recordings by The Apartments, including two live and one studio albums, a single and one live EP, re-issues of three earlier albums. He continues to tour in Australia and Europe, usually with a full band and at times as a solo performer. Based in Sydney Australia after having lived in London and New York in the 1980s, 2018 saw Walsh based in France for an extended period, supporting his band's touring and his personal collaborations with other artists.
While The Apartments line up evolves based on the location of shows, key collaborators in Australia and France form the backbone of the band. The latest release LIVE at L’Ubu included band members from Australia, the UK and France which toured France in 2015.
In 2017 he appeared as guest vocalist on "Attention to Life", a track on UK-based Piano Magic's final album, Closure
- with The Apartments
|the evening visits...and stays for years||1985||Rough Trade/Virgin France S.A.||Reissued in 2015 by Captured Tracks|
|drift||1992||New Rose/Torn & Frayed||Reissued 2011, 2017 by Talitres, Riley Records|
|A Life Full of Farewells||1995||Hot|
|fête foraine||1996||Hot||Reissued 2017 by Microcultures + Riley Records|
|Seven Songs||2013||Talitres||2013 Disquaire Day / Record Store Day Release|
|No Song, No Spell, No Madrigal||2015||Microcultures/Riley Records||Issued in 2016 in Australia by Riley Records with bonus tracks|
|Live at L'Ubu||2019||Talitres/Riley Records||2019 Disquaire Day / Record Store Day Release|
|the return of the hypnotist||7" EP||1979||Able Label||Reissued 2017|
|"All You Wanted"||7"||1984||Hot|
|"All You Wanted"||7"/12"||1985||Rough Trade||29|
|"The Shyest Time"||7"||1987||MCA||Split single with Flesh For Lulu|
|"The Shyest Time"||7"/12"||1988||Glass|
|Sunset Hotel||CD EP||1994||New Rose|
|"Black Ribbons"||7"||2011||Riley Records/Chapter Music|
- Some Kind of Wonderful Soundtrack (1987), MCA: "The Shyest Time"
- POPvolume#1 (1999),POPnews: "Knowing You Were Loved"
- Behind the Banana Curtain – a collection of 41 Brisbane bands (2000), 4ZZZ: "Help"
- Can't Stop It! Australian Post-Punk 1978-82 (2005) Chapter: "Help"
- Inner City Soundtrack (2005) Laughing Outlaw: "All You Wanted"
- with The Go-Betweens
- Lee Remick/I Want to Be Today 7" (Beserkley, 1979) – guitar on "I Want to Be Today" Unreleased Single
- Karen/The Sound of Rain 7" (Beserkley, 1979) - guitar on "The Sound of Rain" Unreleased Single
- 78 'Til 79: The Lost Album (Tag 5, 1999) - guitar on "The Sound of Rain"
- with Out of Nowhere
- Forced Audience various artists cassette release with Xero, Four Gods (No Label, 1981)- guitar and vocals
- The Arrangements Cassette with Pink & Blue (ANTI-MUSIC, 1981) - guitar and vocals
- Remember, Remember/No Resistance 7" (Prince Melon, 1982) - guitar and vocals
- with Laughing Clowns
- Law of Nature LP (Hot, 1984) bass guitar
- Eternally Yours 12" (Hot, 1984) bass guitar
- Crystal Clear/Law of Nature 7" Flexidisc (Sydney Trade Union Club, 1984) bass guitar
- Stenders, Kriv (Director) (2017). The Go-Betweens: Right Here (Motion picture). Umbrella Entertainment.