Peter Mukhito is the former Inspector General of Police in Malawi. He comes from Chiradzulu District. He has gained notoriety for his involvement in interrogating Blessings Chinsinga which began the stand off for academic freedom in Malawi between Chinsinga and President Bingu wa Mutharika. He was also involved in the investigation in the death of Robert Chasowa. Mukhito was also the Inspector General during the 2011 Malawian national protest against President Bingu wa Mutharika, that saw 19 Malawians killed.
On 10 April 2012, there were claims he committed suicide. He eventually went on a local private radio to dispute the claims.
|Inspector Generals of Malawi
- The registrar of the University of Malawi has ordered the indefinite closure of Chancellor College and Polytechnic campuses
- Mukhito fired, Dzonzi new Malawi Police chief | Nyasa Times Malawi breaking news in Malawi Archived 2012-04-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.capitalradiomalawi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129%3Aacademicfreedom&Itemid=164[permanent dead link]
- Govt/students face-off: Malawi Student activist found dead in suspicious circumstances
- by "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-13. Retrieved 2013-10-25.