Peter Hugh Nolan CBE is the Chong Hua Chair in Chinese Development and is Director of the University’s Centre of Development Studies, University of Cambridge and a Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge. He previously held the Sinyi Professor of Chinese Management, at the Cambridge Judge Business School also at the University of Cambridge. Nolan is a member of the Advisory Board of Cambridge Journal of Eurasian Studies.
He is the Director of the Chinese Executive Leadership Programme (CELP), which each year brings CEOs from China’s largest firms to the University of Cambridge for a programme, taught by a combination of academics and the leaders of international firms.
The Financial Times commented: "Peter Nolan knows more about Chinese companies and their international competition than anyone else on earth, including in China."
Peter Nolan received his BA degree from the University of Cambridge, and his MSc and PhD from the School of Oriental and African Studies at the University of London. He was also awarded an honorary doctorate by Copenhagen Business School.
Peter Nolan has researched, written and taught on a wide range of issues in economic development, globalisation and the transition of former planned economies. He has researched on comparative development in China and India; on Chinese agriculture; system change in China and the former USSR; poverty, famine, inequality and migration; restructuring large global firms in the era of the Global Business Revolution; the transformation of large Chinese firms since the 1980s; the evolution of China’s political economy; the inter-action between Chinese and the global firms in the era of the Global Business Revolution; and the contradictory character of capitalist globalisation.
For last 5 years he has taken interest in Central Asia and visited the region and met senior decision makers in Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan.
- ‘NOLAN, Prof. Peter Hugh’, Who's Who 2011, A & C Black, 2011; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2010 ; online edn, Oct 2010 accessed 13 Dec 2010
- ""Cambridge Journal of Eurasian Studies Editorial Board"". Cambridge Journal of Eurasian Studies. 2016-11-22.
- New Year Honours 2009 - Diplomatic Service and Overseas List. BBC.
- "Cambridge academic honoured for work with China". cam.ac.uk. 30 December 2008.
- "Peter Nolan appointed honorary doctor at CBS". CBS - Copenhagen Business School. 19 March 2009. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- "Judge Business School - Faculty". Archived from the original on 14 March 2013.
- "SPECIAL NUMBERS FOR THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2009-10, No 7 - Part I: University Officers" (PDF). Cambridge University Reporter. 23 November 2009.