This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Peter Nygard, Beverly Hills California on February 28, 2016
|Born||1943 (age 72–73)
|Known for||chairman of Nygård International|
Peter J. Nygård (born 1943) is a Finnish-Canadian executive, founder and chairman of Nygård International. He was rated the 93rd richest Canadian by Canadian Business Magazine in 2015 with a net worth of $857,6 million.
Early life and education
Nygård was born in Helsinki, Finland in 1943. His parents were Eeli and Hilkka Nygård, bakers who immigrated to Canada in 1952, settling at first in Deloraine, Manitoba (where Nygård Park would later be named in his honour in 2002). They moved shortly after to Winnipeg.
On December 1, 1967, Nygård used his life savings and an additional loan of $8,000 to purchase 20% of a woman’s clothing manufacturer. A few years later, Nygård owned the company and renamed it Nygård International.
Nygård is Canada's largest fashion house.
Nygård has been a longtime sponsor of amateur sports in the Bahamas. In June 2010, is the main sponsor of Amateur Boxing Federation of the Bahamas' team for Continental Elite Boxing Championships Invitation only event slated for June 13–19 in Quito, Ecuador. Wellington Miller, the president of the Bahamas Olympic Committee, said Nygård has contributed significantly to the Amateur Boxing Association of the Bahamas and their Olympic success.
In April 2011, Nygård held a regatta at Nygård Cay, which included a press conference to honor Bahamian musician "King" Eric Gibson. In the same month, Nygård also donated $10,000 to Josie Poitier, a member of Old Holy Redeemer Catholic Church, during a Passover/Good Friday Breakfast/Brunch.[not in citation given]
Nygard had also launched a copyright complaint with the US District Court in New York and a lawsuit in Manitoba to prevent the piece from airing. He had previously sued two former employees for releasing confidential information and his lawyer claimed CBC harassed many of the employees.
Nygard launched a civil suit against his neighbor Louis Bacon and the Lyford Cay Property Owners Association in the Bahamas alleging they conspired with the CBC to damage his reputation; he also filed a private criminal prosecution against three CBC journalists accusing them of conspiring to discredit him and his clothing empire.
Nygård currently lives in Lyford Cay in the Bahamas.
Nygård owns the following aircraft for personal and corporate use:
- "Canada’s Richest People 2015: The Top 100 Richest Canadians". canadianbusiness.com. 15 January 2015. Retrieved 16 March 2016.
- "North Dakota Entrepreneur Hall of Fame". innovators.net. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Entrepreneur Awards". innovators.net. Retrieved 12 July 2011.
- "Peter Nygard's success story". lasplash.com. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "Nygard International Company Profile".
- "Fire destroys Nygard's Bahamas compound", Winnipeg Free Press, November 10, 2009
- "Nygard pledges 50 million comeback". The Nassau Guardian. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "Nygard Cay is not licensed as commercial property". The Nassau Tribune. 16 August 2010. Retrieved 31 August 2010.
- "Nygård Cay". unusualvillarentals.com. Retrieved 28 June 2010.
- "$26.5 million Raised Nationwide as Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure Celebrates Sweet Sixteen". Cnwtelbec.com. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Nygard sponsoring team for 'invitation only' amateur boxing event". The Tribune. June 1, 2010. Retrieved June 29, 2010.
- "Nygard to sponsor Exuma regatta". The Tribune. March 29, 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "Nygard Does It Again, Sponsors National F.I. Regatta". Jones Bahamas. March 28, 2011. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "I did everything that I could to make it such a great sport". The Tribune. March 29, 2011. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- "After years of giving, volunteer gets recognition, reward". Miami Herald. 25 April 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Nygard files another lawsuit against CBC". lfpress.com. 23 February 2012. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Former Deputy PM denies defending Nygard International against immigration accusations". The Nassau Tribune. April 14, 2010. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Fashion mogul Peter Nygård tries to block airing of CBC show". Fftimes.com. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- Famous Fashionista says: (11 January 2010). "Nygård seeks damages from the CBC". fashionmagazine.com. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- Austen, Ian (10 January 2010). "Nygard Sues Over Unwanted Media Coverage". Canada: NYTimes.com. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- Owen, Bruce (13 January 2010). "CBC probe distracts staff, Nygård claims". Winnipeg Free Press. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Nygard enemy bolts". Toronto Sun. 9 April 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Fashion tycoon Peter Nygard files criminal complaint against CBC". Toronto Sun. 1 April 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "Lyford luxury". The Bahamas Investor Magazine. 21 January 2010.
- seasons beverlyhills (22 March 2014). "Forever Young • Peter Nygard - Stem Cell Research". YouTube. Retrieved 5 December 2014.
- http://www.planespotters.net/Aviation_Photos/photo.show?id=306953 "Peter Nygård's Aircraft"