Peter Ong Boon Kwee (王 文 辉) is a government official in Singapore. He has served as the Head of the Civil Service since 2010, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Finance since 2009, and Permanent Secretary with Special Duties in the Prime Minister's Office.
Ong received a Colombo Plan Scholarship for his tertiary education, earning a degree in economics with honours from Lincoln College, University of Adelaide in 1983. He received his MBA from Stanford University in 1993.
Ong has previously held the positions of Permanent Secretary of National Security and Intelligence Co-ordination, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Trade and Industry, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Transport, and Second-Permanent-Secretary of the Ministry of Defence from 2001 to 2002. Prior to that, he was an executive vice president of Temasek Holdings from 1998 to 2000. He is also the former chairman of the Board of the Maritime and Port Authority and the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority, 2009-2010.
He is has been the Chairman of the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore since 2009. He is also chairman of the board for the Calvary Community Care charity. Since 2010 he has been on the board of Singapore Telecommunications Ltd.
As head of the Civil Service, Ong takes a tough stand on corruption, saying that the authorities "will not hesitate to take action against a corrupt officer, no matter how senior he or she might be". During the severe smoke and haze conditions in the summer of 2013, Ong ensured that government employees were “haze-ready” and that government operations continued despite the atmospheric conditions.
Ong is a believer in well-designed programs to achieve government and societal goals, and recently has been stressing the importance of dealing appropriately with the diversity of peoples needs, and multifaceted solutions.
- In 2010, Ong received the Meritorious Service Medal (Pingat Jasa Gemilang) at the Singapore National Day Awards.
- In 2012 he was made an Honorary Commander of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (Darjah Kebesaran Panglima Setia Mahkota (P.S.M.)) by the Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia. This entitles Ong to use "Tan Sri" in front of his name.
- "Civil Service head Peter Ong says policy makers must be close to the ground". The Straits Times. 26 March 2014. Archived from the original on 27 March 2014.
- "New Chairman for the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA)" (PDF). Singapore Government. 30 August 2010.
- "MOF: Organisational Structure". Ministry of Finance, Singapore Government. 2014. Archived from the original on 14 February 2014.
- "Prime Minister's Office: Senior Management & Their Personal Assistants". Singapore Government. 2014. Archived from the original on 26 October 2013.
- "Senior Appointment Changes in the Public Sector". Public Service Division, Singapore Government. 2005. Archived from the original on 23 April 2007.
- "Singapore Telecommunications Ltd (STEL.SI)". Reuters. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014.
- "Lim Chee Onn, Peter Ong reappointed to MAS board of directors". The Straits Times. 31 December 2013. Archived from the original on 1 January 2014.
- "Annual Report 11 (2010/2011)" (PDF). Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore. p. 7. Archived (PDF) from the original on 7 June 2014.
- "Changes To Board Of Inland Revenue Authority Of Singapore (IRAS)". Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, Singapore Government. 30 August 2010. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014.
- "Peter Ong reappointed Iras chairman". The Straits Times. 19 August 2013. Archived from the original on 19 August 2013.
- "Our Management Team". Calvary Community Care. Archived from the original on 21 August 2013.
- Chia, Ashley (27 July 2013). "Half of errant civil servants from enforcement units: Study". Today Online. Singapore. Archived from the original on 28 July 2013.
- Soh, Alvina (29 June 2013). "Measures in Place to Assure Health of Officiers at Checkpoints" (PDF). Today. Singapore. p. 10. Archived (PDF) from the original on 7 June 2014.
- Chan, Robin (26 March 2015). "Civil Service head Peter Ong says policy makers must be close to the ground". The Strait Times. Archived from the original on 13 December 2015.
- Ong, Peter (29 October 2015). "A collective effort to build Singapore's future". Archived from the original on 13 December 2015.
- "Singapore's head of civil service receives top Malaysian award". AsiaOne News. 2 June 2012. Archived from the original on 7 June 2014.