Peter Ostroushko playing mandolin in 2014
|Born||August 12, 1953|
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.
|Died||February 24, 2021(aged 67)|
|Instruments||Mandolin, guitar, fiddle|
|Labels||Rounder, Red House|
|Associated acts||Garrison Keillor, The Guys All-Star Shoe Band, Robin and Linda Williams, Dean Magraw|
Peter Ostroushko (August 12, 1953 - February 24, 2021) was an American violinist and mandolinist.
Background and career
Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Mandolin
Ostroushko's first recording session was an uncredited mandolin player on Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. He toured with Robin and Linda Williams, Norman Blake and Chet Atkins. Ostroushko also worked with Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, Johnny Gimble, Greg Brown, John Hartford and the New Orleans–based rock/blues band The Radiators , among many others.
Ostroushko performed with the Minnesota Orchestra and the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra. Ostroushko's compositions have been performed by the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, the Minnesota Sinfonia, the Rochester Symphony Orchestra, the Des Moines Symphony and the Kremlin Chamber Orchestra. In 2009, he played with the Minnesota Youth Symphonies at Orchestra Hall. Music from Heart of the Heartland was used by Ken Burns for the PBS documentary Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery and his arrangement of "Sweet Betsy from Pike" was used in Burns's Mark Twain.
Television and radio
Ostroushko appeared on television on Austin City Limits, Late Night with David Letterman, and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, as well as performing regularly on Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion.
- Sluz Duz Music (1985) Rounder
- Down the Streets of My Old Neighborhood (1986) Rounder
- Buddies of Swing (1987) Red House
- Blue Mesa (1989) Red House
- Duo (1991) Red House (with Dean Magraw)
- Heart of the Heartland (1995) Red House
- Pilgrims on the Heart Road (1997) Red House
- Sacred Heart (2000) Red House
- Meeting on Southern Soil (2002) Red House (with Norman Blake)
- Coming Down from Red Lodge (2003) Red House
- Minnesota: A History of the Land (2005) Red House
- The Heartland Holiday Concert (2005) Red House
- Postcards (2006) Red House
- The Mando Boys Live: Holstein Lust (2006) Borderland
- Peter Joins the Circus (2008)
- When the Last Morning Glory Blooms (2010) (Red House)
- Blood on the Tracks recording sessions.
- A Simple Twist of Fate: Bob Dylan and the Making of Blood on the Tracks, Andy Gill, Kevin Odegard, Da Capo Press. 2004
- University of Minnesota article on A History of the Land. Archived 2009-08-09 at the Wayback Machine
- Bream, Jon (February 25, 2021). "Peter Ostroushko, virtuoso musician with everyone from Bob Dylan to Minnesota Orchestra, dies". Star Tribune. Retrieved February 25, 2021.
- Bream, Jon (July 24, 2018). "Ailing Mpls. musician Peter Ostroushko inspires supporters at fundraiser". Star Tribune. Retrieved February 25, 2021.
- Peter Ostroushko, virtuoso musician who played with everyone from Bob Dylan to Minnesota Orchestra, dies at 67