Peter R. Jennings
Peter R. Jennings is a Canadian physicist, scientist, inventor, software developer, computer chess programmer, and entrepreneur. He is best known for creating MicroChess, the first commercially successful chess program for microcomputers, in 1976.
Jennings was born in Bedford, England, in 1950. In the 1960s his family moved to Ontario, Canada. He received an MA in physics from SUNY Stony Brook University in 1972, and a MBA in finance and marketing from McMaster University in 1974.
Jennings developed MicroChess shortly after leaving graduate school in New York; the code was sold on paper, so buyers had to type in the code to activate the program. MicroChess was the first software to sell over 10,000 copies.
In 1976, along with Dan Fylstra, he co-founded the corporation Personal Software, which became VisiCorp, and was involved in the creation of VisiCalc, the first spreadsheet program. MicroChess sales helped to finance the development of VisiCalc.
- January 1978: "The Second World Computer Chess Championships". BYTE. p. 108.
- March 1978: "Microchess 1.5 vs. Dark Horse". BYTE. p. 166.
- No date: "A Good, Long Read (for 18 Years)". Foundation RISC User Online. RISCOS Ltd.
- "6502.org: Source: MicroChess". 6502.org. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- VE3SUN. "Peter Jennings". www.benlo.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Computer History Museum - Chess For Everyone - Early Microcomputer Chess". www.computerhistory.org. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "We've mentioned Peter Jennings' ground-breaking Microchess before - the first…". plus.google.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- (www.maddogproductions.com/creative), Mad Dog Productions. "IT History Society". www.ithistory.org. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- Chess (Tandy Radio Shack Color Computer) (1980), 1980-01-01, retrieved 2016-01-29
- "Scisys and Novag : The Early Years". www.chesscomputeruk.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Secret Weapons of Commodore: The Commodore CHESSmate". www.floodgap.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- Bolton, Syd. "A brief history of computer chess". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- Szewczyk, Roman; Kaštelan, Ivan; Temerinac, Miodrag; Barak, Moshe; Sruk, Vlado (2016-01-19). Embedded Engineering Education. Springer. ISBN 9783319275406.