Peter John Robert Riddell CBE PC (born 14 October 1948) is a British journalist, author, and director ( chief executive) of the Institute for Government. From 1991 to 2010 he was a political commentator for The Times and has been an Assistant Editor since 1991. Prior to this, he was US Editor and Washington Bureau Chief at The Financial Times between 1989 and 1991.
He has been a member of the Hansard Society council since 1996 and was its chair from 2007 until 2012. He was a senior fellow at the Institute for Government from 2008 until 2011, and since January 2012 has been director of the Institute for Government.
On 6 July 2010 Prime Minister David Cameron announced that Riddell would be one of three members of an inquiry to determine whether British intelligence officers were complicit in the torture of detainees, including those from the Guantanamo Bay detention camp or subject to rendition flights. Riddell joined the Privy Council to permit easier access to secret information, entitling him to the style "The Right Honourable".
- The Thatcher Government (1983), ISBN 978-0-631-14519-6
- The Thatcher Decade (1989), ISBN 978-0-631-16274-2
- The Thatcher Era and Its Legacy (1991), ISBN 978-0-631-18268-9
- Honest Opportunism: The Rise of the Career Politician (1993), ISBN 978-0-575-40039-9
- Parliament Under Pressure (1997), ISBN 978-0-575-06435-5
- Parliament Under Blair (2000), ISBN 978-1-902301-60-0
- Blair Government (2002), ISBN 978-1-902301-74-7
- Hug Them Close: Blair, Clinton, Bush and the 'Special Relationship' (2004), ISBN 978-1-84275-118-3
- The Unfulfilled Prime Minister: Tony Blair's Quest for a Legacy (2006), ISBN 978-1-84275-168-8
- In defence of Politicians (in spite of themselves)" (2011)
- Ben Dowell (18 June 2010). "Times political commentator Peter Riddell to quit paper after 19 years". guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- Hansard Society - Advisory Council - Peter Riddell
- James Blitz and Alex Barke (6 July 2010). "Torture claims raise out-of-court deal prospect". Financial Times. Retrieved 7 July 2010.
- The London Gazette: . 16 June 2012.
- Institute for Government blog - Peter Riddell's posts
- The Times
- The Times - Peter Riddell
- Hansard Society
|This article about a British journalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|