Peter Rose (poet)
|Born||Peter John Rose
8 June 1955
Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia
Peter Rose (born 8 June 1955) is an award-winning Australian poet, memoirist, critic, novelist and editor. For many years he was an academic publisher. Since 2001 he has been Editor of Australian Book Review.
Peter John Rose was born in Wangaratta on 8 June 1955, grew up there, and was educated at Haileybury, Melbourne and Monash University. Throughout the 1990s Rose was a publisher at Oxford University Press, Australia, where he published a wide range of Oxford reference books and dictionaries. Since 2001 he has been the editor of the Australian Book Review. He has also edited two poetry anthologies. In 2009 he appeared on the judging panel for the Prime Minister's Literary Awards, and in 2011 he judged the National Biography Award. He has for more than a decade been chairperson of the Robert Rose Foundation, which assists people with spinal cord injuries. An extensive selection of his poetry appears in the Australian Poetry Library.
Peter Rose belongs to a famous Collingwood Football Club family. His father, Bob Rose, was a celebrated Collingwood player and coach. His brother, Robert Rose (1952-1999), played for Collingwood and opened the batting for Victoria before an accident left him a quadriplegic in 1974. In 2001 Peter Rose published Rose Boys, a family memoir which won the National Biography Award in 2003. Rose Boys was reissued as a Text Classic in 2013.
Peter Rose wrote about his childhood and adolescence in Rose Boys.
He lives in Melbourne.
- Rose, Peter (1990). The house of vitriol. Picador Poetry. Sydney: Pan.
- The Catullan Rag, Picador, 1993 ISBN 0-330-27415-5
- Donatello in Wangaratta, Hale & Iremonger, 1998 ISBN 0-86806-654-0
- Rattus Rattus: New and Selected Poems, Salt Publications, 2005 ISBN 978-1-84471-069-0
- Crimson Crop, UWA Publishing, 2012 ISBN 978-1-74258-390-7
- The Subject of Feeling, UWA Publishing, 2015 ISBN 978-1-74258-688-5
- Rose Boys, Allen & Unwin, 2001 ISBN 978-1-86508-639-2
- Rose Boys, Text Classics, 2013 ISBN 978-1922147202
- A Case of Knives, Allen & Unwin, 2005 ISBN 1-74114-536-8
- Roddy Parr, Fourth Estate, 2010, ISN 9780732290276
- The Best Australian Poems 2007, Black Inc., 2007 ISBN 978-1-86395-417-4
- The Best Australian Poems 2008, Black Inc., 2008 ISBN 978-1-86395-303-0
Book and other reviews
|Date||Review article||Work(s) reviewed|
|2011||Rose, Peter (September 2011). "In the ring with Susan Sontag" (PDF). Australian Book Review. 334: 20–21.|
|2014||Rose, Peter (Sep 2014). "Don Giovanni". Australian Book Review. 364: 38.||Opera Australia's Don Giovanni, directed by David McVicar at the Sydney Opera House, 7 August 2014.|
- "Dynasties: The Rose Family". Retrieved 12 June 2011.
- John Arnold, John Hay, eds., The Bibliography of Australian Literature P-Z. Retrieved 21 February 2014
- Australian Poetry Library - Peter Rose
- Text Publishing - Rose Boys by Peter Rose
- Prime Minister's Literary Awards - 2013 shortlists
- Rose Boys, Notes for Reading
- Eureka Street, Vol. 20, No. 4, A poetic word on gay spirituality. Retrieved 22 Jun 2013
- Library Thing, Out of the box : contemporary Australian gay and lesbian poets. Retrieved 22 Jun 2013