A consultant physician and professor of therapeutics at Nottingham University since 1987, he has an interest in medical problems that may occur in pregnancy. Rubin has also served as chairman of several Medical Research Council committees investigating drug research in pregnancy. Rubin was the first member of his family to attend university.
He chaired a number of committees devoted to education, such as the GMC's Education Committee from 2005 to 2008 and the Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board (PMETB) in the same years. He served as a board member of the Higher Education Funding Council for England from 2003-2009 and co-chaired one of their committees that recommended the establishment of a new dental school in the South West of the country.
He was the dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at Nottingham University between 1997 and 2003. During his time as dean he helped to develop both the university's Graduate Entry Medical School, which opened in 2004, and the School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, which opened in 2006 as the first new veterinary school in the UK for more than half a century.
General Medical Council
He was appointed to the council of the GMC, beginning on 1 January 2009. He was elected to the position of Chair and his tenure began on 20 April 2009 when he replaced Professor Sir Graeme Catto. While he held this office he continued to work as a practising doctor in Nottingham. In 2012 the process of selecting the chair was changed and he became the first chair to be appointed. He was succeeded by Terence Stephenson on 1 January 2015.
He was knighted for services to medicine in the 2010 Queen's Birthday Honours. In 2004 he was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Lincoln. In 2011 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Science from University of Exeter. In 2012 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Health from Plymouth University.
- "Nottingham academic appointed GMC chair" (Press release). University of Nottingham. 6 April 2009. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Nottingham alumni, honorary graduates and staff recognised in the Queen’s Birthday Honours 2010" (Press release). University of Nottingham. 30 June 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Campbell, Denis (4 November 2009). "Interview: A clean bill of health". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "People of today: Peter Charles Rubin". Debrett's. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Pioneering medic receives knighthood at Buckingham Palace" (Press release). University of Nottingham. 9 December 2010. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Nottingham University professors join GMC". Nottingham Post. Local World. 21 October 2008. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Council Governance: Members of Council". General Medical Council. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "Professor Sir Peter Rubin is first appointed chair of the GMC" (Press release). General Medical Council. 19 September 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- Nash, Sally (9 September 2014). "Royal college chief appointed as new chair of GMC". Pulse magazine. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "No. 59446". The London Gazette (Supplement). 12 June 2010. p. 1.
- "Graduation ceremonies: Honorary Graduates". University of Lincoln. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Honorary graduates 2011-12. Professor Sir Peter Rubin (DSc)". University of Exeter. 25 July 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2014.