A film fan since his early childhood, Scheerer started shooting short 8 mm movies while he was in high school. After college Scheerer worked in advertising. Later he started together with his writing partner Michael Roesch a successful career as a screenwriter, and worked in various production capacities. Among their screenwriting credits are Alone in the Dark,'House of the Dead 2  and the upcoming Far Cry.
In 2006 Roesch and Scheerer directed their first feature, the vampire thriller Brotherhood of Blood, starring Victoria Pratt, Sid Haig and Ken Foree. The movie had its world premiere at the prestigious Sitges Film Festival in Sitges, Spain in October 2007.
- Alone in the Dark II (2009) (director, screenwriter)
- Far Cry (2007) (screenwriter)
- In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007) (associate producer)
- Brotherhood of Blood (2006) (director, screenwriter)
- BloodRayne (2006) (associate producer)
- House of the Dead 2 (2005) (screenwriter)
- Alone in the Dark (2005) (screenwriter)
- "Interview with the Screenwriters of House of the Dead 2". Horror-Movies.ca. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- Condit, Jon (January 27, 2005). "Alone in the Dark - Interview with Michael Roesch and Peter Scheerer". DreadCentral.com. Retrieved August 23, 2014.
- "`House of the Dead 2´ screenwriters Peter Scheerer and Michael Roesch". Horror Movies and Stuff. Retrieved August 23, 2014.