|Date of birth||22 September 1960|
|Height / weight||180cm / 83kg|
|Current club||Brisbane Lions
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 1991.
3 Coaching statistics correct as of 2004.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Peter Schwab (born 22 September 1960) is the Umpiring Director for the AFL and former List Manager at AFL football club, Brisbane Lions. He is a former Australian rules footballer and coach in the VFL/AFL and has held many roles in VFL/AFL football.
1989 Grand Final suspension
In 1992 Schwab became assistant coach at the Richmond Football Club, before returning to Hawthorn as assistant coach to Ken Judge in 1996 and 1997. He then managed the AFL Umpiring Department for two years, before becoming Hawthorn's senior coach for five seasons from 2000. He took Hawthorn into the finals in his first year. They eliminated Geelong in the first elimination final, but the following week they were eliminated by Kangaroos in the semi final. He took the Hawks to the finals again in 2001, where they eliminated Sydney in the elimination final and they eliminated Port Adelaide in the semi final. They eventually lost to Essendon in a thriller at the MCG in the Preliminary Finals. In 2002 and 2003, Hawthorn just missed out of the finals, finishing 10th and 9th.
In 2004 Schwab announced during the pre-season that the Hawks would win the premiership; however by round sixteen the Hawks were second last and there was pressure on Schwab to resign. Schwab announced he would step down at the end of the season but after one more game (the team was thrashed by the Kangaroos by 80 points) he resigned immediately citing it was too hard to continue. Donald McDonald became caretaker coach for the remainder of the 2004 season.
He also coached Australian rules football at prominent Melbourne School Wesley College, Melbourne for a number of years from 2006.
Other football roles
- Marketing Manager at Hawthorn Football Club
- Head of the AFL umpiring panel
- Chairman of the AFL Match Review Panel. 2005 to 2007
- Chief Executive Officer of AFL Victoria. April 2007 – November 2010
- "Special comments" contributor for ABC radio and writer for The Age
- AFL Director of Coaching 2010 to October 2013
In November 2013, Schwab took up the role of Senior Director of Coaching and Development at Brisbane. In this role Schwab oversees the management of the coaching staff and provide support to Senior Coach, Justin Leppitsch.
- Life member of the Hawthorn Football Club 1988
- Life member of the AFL
Schwab went to Burwood High School and completed a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.), Physical education at university. Schwab was a PE teacher at St Michael's Grammar School
- "AFL-bound Peter Schwab confirms departure from Brisbane Lions" [The Age, December 3 2016.
- "Peter Schwab joins Brisbane to mentor Lions coach Justin Leppitsche" by Andrew Hamilton, Herald Sun, 2 November 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Holmesby, Russell; Main, Jim (2003). The Encyclopedia of AFL Footballers: every AFL/VFL player since 1897 (5th ed.). Melbourne, Victoria: Crown Content. p. 648. ISBN 1-74095-032-1.
- Hinds, Richard (19 September 2005). "Swans must hope there is justice with compassion".
- "AFL Victoria names Peter Schwab as new CEO" by staff writer, AFL Victoria, 20 March 2007. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Schwab and Hahn join Lions" by lions.com.au, Herald Sun, 3 October 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Life Members", Hawthorn football Club, 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2013.