Schweizer in 2016.
|Born||Peter Franz Schweizer
November 24, 1964
|Occupation||Author, political advisor|
|Education||Oxford University (M.Phil.)
George Washington University (B.A.)
|Notable works||Do as I Say (Not as I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy
Peter Franz Schweizer (November 24, 1964) is an American author and political consultant. He is the president of the Government Accountability Institute (GAI) and a former William J. Casey Research Fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution. He is also Breitbart News Senior Editor-at-Large. He is known for writing Clinton Cash, a 2015 book that investigates donations made to the Clinton Foundation by foreign entities, paid speeches made by Bill and Hillary Clinton, and the Clintons' personal enrichment since they left the White House, in 2001.
Schweizer's early work at Jeremiah Denton's National Forum Foundation (NFF) focused on major fronts in the Cold War. He co-authored a National Review article with Denton's son, James (often cited as Jim), "Murdering SDI", about the suspicious deaths of several European officials who supported the Strategic Defense Initiative. While at the NFF, Schweizer also published a report titled "The Meaning and Destiny of the Sandinista Revolution".
In 2012, Steve Kroft used Schweizer's work as the basis for a blockbuster report on CBS's 60 Minutes about Congressional insider trading. Titled "Insiders: The road to the STOCK act", Kroft relied heavily on Schweizer's reporting in Throw Them All Out, which CBS independently verified, to demonstrate how members of Congress trade stocks unethically. The book demonstrates how politicians like Nancy Pelosi and Spencer Bachus have inoculated themselves against criminal charges for insider trading. The following year, Kroft revisited Schweizer's work to create another 60 Minutes report on how members of Congress use the funds of their political action committees for private inurement.
A year later, Schweizer authored another GAI report about the Obama administration, which said that Obama failed to meet often enough with Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius during the height of the botched roll out of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). He publicized the report with a story for Politico titled "When Barry Met Kathy: Almost never, it turns out." Schweizer's report relied on publicly available information about Obama's schedule. Three months later, after making FOIA requests of non-public documents, The Hill found evidence of multiple meetings with both scheduled to attend, including seven specifically about the ACA.They were scheduled not known if any were attended to by both Sebelius or Obama.
In 2015, Schweizer authored an e-book, Bush Bucks: How Public Service and Corporations Helped Make Jeb Rich. The book raises questions about the millions of dollars former Florida Governor Jeb Bush earned after leaving office from companies that benefited from Bush's policy while he was serving as governor of Florida.
In 2015, Harper Collins published Clinton Cash: The Untold Story of How and Why Foreign Governments and Businesses Helped Make Bill and Hillary Rich, a 256-page book investigating the donations made to the Clinton Foundation by foreign entities. Several media outlets received advance copies, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and Fox News, all of whom agreed to pursue stories found in the book. Time wrote that "allegations are presented as questions rather than proof" but that "the book’s dark suggestions reflect the growing problem Clinton faces in her run for the White House in 2016 as more and more details of the foundation’s fundraising activities present the appearance of impropriety and lack of transparency during her time as Secretary of State."
Several weeks after the book's initial publication, Harper Collins and the author made several corrections to the Kindle edition of the book. Schweizer corrected "seven or eight" passages that were revealed to be inaccurate after the book was released.
In the wake of the book's publication, the Clinton Foundation admitted that it made mistakes in disclosing some of its contributions and that it implemented new rules increasing financial reporting and limiting foreign donations.
From 2008 to 2009, Schweizer served as a consultant to the Office of Presidential Speechwriting in the White House. In March 2009, Schweizer parlayed that experience into a new venture with fellow White House speechwriter Marc Thiessen. Together, Schweizer and Thiessen opened Oval Office Writers LLC. The firm specializes in preparation for congressional testimony as well as pitching opinion editorials and book proposals. As a political communications expert, Schweizer's notable clients have included Sarah Palin, and he advised her on foreign policy. Schweizer is a member of the Research Advisory Council of the James Madison Institute, a free-market think tank headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida.
Schweizer serves as Chairman of the Board of Advisors of Single Subject Amendment, a non-profit organization headquartered in Tallahassee, Florida, which seeks to amend the United States Constitution to provide that every law enacted by Congress must address only one subject, which must be clearly expressed in the bill’s title.
Schweizer lives in Tallahassee, Florida with his second wife, Rhonda, and step-children. He and his first wife, Rochelle, have co-authored books about Disney and the Bush family. They met while she worked at the National Forum Foundation (NFF), which merged with Freedom House in 1997.
- Clinton Cash: The Untold Story of How and Why Foreign Governments and Businesses Helped Make Bill and Hillary Rich, 2015 (ISBN 978-0062369284)
- Extortion: How Politicians Extract Your Money, Buy Votes, and Line Their Own Pockets, 2013 (ISBN 978-0544103344)
- Throw Them All Out: How Politicians and Their Friends Get Rich off Insider Stock Tips, Land Deals, and Cronyism That Would Send the Rest of Us to Prison, 2011 (ISBN 978-0547573144)
- Architects of Ruin: How a Gang of Radical Activists and Liberal Politicians Destroyed Trillions of Dollars in Wealth in the Pursuit of Social Justice, 2009 (ISBN 0-061-95334-2)
- Makers and Takers: Why conservatives work harder, feel happier, have closer families, take fewer drugs, give more generously, value honesty more, are less materialistic and envious, whine less … and even hug their children more than liberals, 2008 (ISBN 0-385-51350-X)
- Chain of Command, with Caspar Weinberger, 2006 (ISBN 0-74343-774-8)
- Do as I Say (Not as I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy, 2005 (ISBN 0-385-51349-6)
- The Bushes : portrait of a dynasty, 2004, co-authored with Rochelle Schweizer (ISBN 0-385-49863-2)
- Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism, 2002 (ISBN 0-385-50471-3)
- Disney: The Mouse Betrayed: Greed, Corruption and Children at Risk, 1998 (ISBN 0-89526-387-4)
- The Next War, with Caspar Weinberger, 1998 (ISBN 0-89526-447-1)
- Victory: The Reagan Administration's Secret Strategy That Hastened the Collapse of the Soviet Union, 1994 (ISBN 0-87113-567-1)
- Friendly Spies: How America's Allies Are Using Economic Espionage to Steal Our Secrets, 1992 (ISBN 0-87113-497-7)
- Grinning with the Gipper: Wit, Wisdom and Wisecracks of Ronald Reagan, 1988 (ISBN 0-87113-272-9)
- "Peter Schweizer Expertise: International Relations National Security U.S. Presidency Peter Schweizer". Hoover Institution. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Hillary Clinton’s Brother Defends Haiti Gold Mine Deal: ‘I Raise Money for a Lot of People". Breitbart News. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Hey, Nigel. The Star Wars Enigma: Behind the Scenes of the Cold War Race for Missile Defense, Potomac Books, 2006.
- Schweizer, Peter. "The Meaning and Destiny of the Sandinista Revolution", National Forum Foundation, 1987.
- Kroft, Steve. "Insiders: The road to the STOCK act. 60 Minutes, June 17, 2012. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Boyer, Peter J. "Peter Schweizer's New Book Blasts Congressional Corruption. Newsweek, November 13, 2011. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Kroft, Steve. "Washington's open secret: Profitable PACs. 60 Minutes, October 21, 2013. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Schweizer, Peter. "GAI Report: “Presidential Meetings With Cabinet Secretaries”, Government Accountability Institute, December 10, 2013. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Schweizer, Peter."When Barry Met Kathy: Almost never, it turns out", Politico. December 5, 2013. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Bogardus, Kevin, and Jonathan Easley. "Before O-Care debacle, Sebelius made many trips to White House", The Hill, February 13, 2014. Accessed April 24, 2015.
- Gilly-13 (1 October 2004). "In the Face of Evil: Reagan's War in Word and Deed (Video 2004)". IMDb.
- "Broke: The Plan to Restore Our Trust, Truth and Treasure". Amazon. Retrieved 20 April 2015.
- Bender, Michael C. (October 20, 2015). "New Peter Schweizer E-Book Questions Jeb Bush's Earnings". Bloomberg Politics. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "Report Traces Jeb Bush’s Ties to Companies That Had Business With Florida". New York Times. October 21, 2015. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- "New Book, ‘Clinton Cash,’ Questions Foreign Donations to Foundation". nytimes.com. April 20, 2015.
- Frizell, Sam, and Zeke J. Miller, Massimo Calabresi. "Clinton Allies Knock Down Donor Allegations, New Questions Pop Up," Time, April 22, 2015. Accessed, April 24, 2015.
- Karnie, Annie. "'Clinton Cash' publisher corrects '7 or 8' inaccurate passages, Politico, May 14, 2015. Accessed: May 14, 2015.
- Pilkington, Ed (May 5, 2015). "Clinton Cash: errors dog Bill and Hillary exposé – but is there any 'there' there?". The Guardian. Retrieved 28 August 2015.
- The Federalist Society, "Peter Schweizer. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Alexovich, Ariel; Klingebiel, Jacqueline (March 25, 2009). "Suite Talk March 25, 2009: Speechwriters Open New Outlet". The Politico.
- Pitcher, Whitney. "SarahPAC Hires a New Foreign Policy Adviser?; Updated: SarahPAC Confirms", Conservatives4Palin.com, May 3, 2011. Accessed: May 3, 2015.
- "Research Advisory Council". James Madison Institute. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Board of Advisors". Single Subject amendment.
- Boyer, Peter (2011-11-13). "Peter Schweizer's New Book Blasts Congressional Corruption". Newsweek. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Biography". peterschweizer.com.
- "Our History", Freedom House. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Aronoff, Roger. "Take Aim: Rochelle Schweizer", Accuracy in Media, October 13, 2010. Accessed: April 24, 2015.
- Official website for In the Face of Evil: Reagan's War in Words and Deed.
- Schweizer's report about the President's Daily Briefing (pdf).
- Schweizer's report about President Obama's meetings with Secretary Sebelius, based on publicly available information at the time (pdf).
- Official website
- Profile at the James Madison Institute
- Schweizer's Bio at Oval Office Writers LLC
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Peter Schweizer at the Internet Movie Database
- Works by or about Peter Schweizer in libraries (WorldCat catalog)