Peter John Otter Self (1919 – 29 March 1999) was an English journalist, academic, planning policy-maker and university teacher of planning.
Born in Brighton to Henry Self, Self was educated at Lancing College and then Balliol College, Oxford, where he read Philosophy, Politics and Economics. In the Second World War he was a conscientious objector, working on a farm. He went on to become Emeritus Professor of Public Administration at the London School of Economics and Professor of Urban Research at the Australian National University. He died in Canberra on 29 March 1999.
- Regionalism, 1949
- Whither Local Government?, 1950
- Cities in Flood: The Problems of Urban Growth, 1960
- The State and the Farmer, 1962 ISBN 0043380328
- Metropolitan Planning: Planning System of Greater London, 1971 ISBN 0817300902
- Planning the Urban Region: A Comparative Study of Policies and Organizations, 1982 ISBN 0043520995
- New Towns: The British Experience, 1972
- Administrative Theories and Politics: An Enquiry into the Structure and Processes of Modern Government, 1972 ISBN 0043510434
- Econocrats and the Policy Process: Politics and Philosophy of Cost-benefit Analysis, 1976 ISBN 0333180968
- Administrative Theories and Politics: An Enquiry into the Structure and Processes of Modern Government, 1977 ISBN 0043510531
- Political Theories of Modern Government - Its role and reform, Unwin Hyman, London, 1985 ISBN 0-04-320174-1
- Government by the Market? The Politics of Public Choice, 1993 ISBN 0333569725
- Rolling Back the Market, 1999 ISBN 0312226519
- "Obituary: Professor Peter Self". 14 April 1999.
- SELF, Prof. Peter John Otter’, Who Was Who, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 1920–2014; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014 ; online edn, April 2014 accessed 3 Sept 2014
|This biography of a political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|