Peter St Clair-Erskine, 7th Earl of Rosslyn
|The Right Honourable
The Earl of Rosslyn
|Born||Peter St Clair-Erskine
31 March 1958
|Issue||Jamie St. Clair-Erskine, Lord Loughborough
Lady Alice St. Clair-Erskine
The Hon. Harry St. Clair-Erskine
Lady Lucia St. Clair-Erskine
|Parents||Anthony St Clair-Erskine, 6th Earl of Rosslyn|
Peter St Clair-Erskine, 7th Earl of Rosslyn, CVO, QPM (born 31 March 1958) is a former Metropolitan Police Commander, in which he used the professional name Peter Loughborough (from the subsidiary title, Lord Loughborough, which he bore as heir to the earldom prior to his succession in 1977). The Earl's lands include the world famous Rosslyn Chapel.
Background and education
Rosslyn was educated at Eton College and the University of Bristol. He inherited his title in 1977 and was one of 92 hereditary peers elected to remain in the House of Lords following the House of Lords Act 1999. He sits as a crossbencher.
Rosslyn, known professionally as Peter Loughborough, joined the Metropolitan Police Service in 1980. He reached the rank of chief inspector in the 1990s. In 1994 he led the undercover Operation Troodos, a successful crackdown on drug dealers in west London, including the drug supplier of the Marquess of Blandford, later Duke of Marlborough. From 2003-2014, he was head of the Royalty and Diplomatic Protection Department (since amalgamated into Protection Command). He received the Queen's Police Medal in the 2009 New Year Honours and was reputedly the Queen's "favourite policeman".
He married Helen Watters in 1982 and they have two sons and two daughters.
- Jamie William St. Clair-Erskine, Lord Loughborough (b. 28 May 1986)
- Lady Alice St. Clair-Erskine (b. 14 June 1988), an actress with the stage name Alice St Clair, Lady Alice played Catherine Middleton in an American TV film about the 2011 Royal Wedding.
- The Hon. Harry St. Clair-Erskine
- Lady Lucia St. Clair-Erskine.
- "Old Etonian earl in charge of royal protection likely to be centre of inquiry". The Guardian. 24 June 2003.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2008.
- "Charles and Camilla appoint police chief to Household". The Daily Telegraph. 1 April 2014.
- The London Gazette: . 15 October 2014.
- Dod, Charles Roger; Dod, Robert Phipps (2010). Dod's Parliamentary Companion 178. Dod's Parliamentary Companion Ltd. p. 845. ISBN 0-905702-89-1.
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 5337 § 53361". The Peerage. External link in
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Rosslyn
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
Anthony St Clair-Erskine
|Earl of Rosslyn