Peter Steele (poet)
Peter Daniel Steele
22 August 1939
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
|Died||27 June 2012 (aged 72)|
Kew, Victoria, Australia
|Alma mater||University of Melbourne|
|Occupation||poet and academic|
|Known for||Plenty: Art into Poetry|
Steele was educated at Christian Brothers' College, Perth; Loyola College, Melbourne; the University of Melbourne; Canisius College, Sydney and the Jesuit Theological College, Melbourne. He gained an MA and PhD from the University of Melbourne and joined the academic staff there in 1966. He later administered the Department of English and held a Personal Chair in English there; he went on to become Emeritus Professor of English at the university. He remained at the university until his death in 2012.
- Steele, Peter (1973). Word from Lilliput : poems.
- Marching on Paradise (1984)
- Invisible Riders (1999)
- Plenty: Art into Poetry (2003)
- The Whispering Gallery: Art Into Poetry (2006)
- White Knight with Beebox: New and Selected Poems (2008)
- A Local Habitation: Poems and Homilies (2010)
- The Gossip and the Wine (2011)
- The Autobiographical Passion: studies in the self on show (1989)
- Steele, Peter (Mar 1996). "Joseph Brodsky 1940–1996". Tribute. Quadrant. 40 (3): 16–17.
- Bread for the Journey: Homilies (2002)
- Braiding the Voices: Essays in Poetry (2012)
- University of Melbourne - Award of Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters - Professor Peter Steele Archived 2015-04-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- Austlit - Peter Steele
- "Remembering Peter Steele" by Kate Middleton, Australian Book Review
- "Peter Daniel Steele, AM Priest, Poet, Academic" by Gerald O'Collins, The Sydney Morning Herald, 3 July 2012