Peter (Petre) Stoica (born 1949) is a researcher and educator in the field of signal processing and its applications to radar/sonar, communications and bio-medicine. He is a professor of Signals and Systems Modeling at Uppsala University in Sweden, and a Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences, the United States National Academy of Engineering (Foreign Member), the Romanian Academy (foreign honorary, since 1991), the European Academy of Sciences, and the Royal Society of Sciences. He is also a Fellow of IEEE, EURASIP, IETI,and the Royal Statistical Society.
He is known for his theoretical contributions to system identification and modeling, spectral analysis, array signal processing, space-time coding, and waveform design for active sensing. His practical contributions include the areas of wireless communications, microwave imaging for breast cancer detection, radar/sonar systems, acoustic source mapping, landmine and explosive detection, and magnetic resonance spectroscopy and imaging. His books on System Identification, Spectral Analysis, and Space-Time Coding for Wireless Communications have been used in both undergraduate and graduate courses and are highly cited (his works rank in the top 1% by citations for the field of engineering). He has been included on the ISI list of the 250 most highly cited researchers in engineering in the world.
- The IEEE ASSP Senior Award, 1989
- Honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Science and Mathematics at Uppsala University, Sweden 1993
- The Shannon-Nyquist Technical Achievement Award of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, 1996
- The IEEE W.R.G. Baker Award, 2000[circular reference]
- The IEEE Third Millennium Medal, 2000
- The EURASIP Individual Technical Achievement Award, 2002
- The Bjorkenska Prize, 2004
- The IEE Achievement Medal, 2005
- The Wiener Society Award of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2006
- The Barry Carlton Award of the IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society, 2008
- The IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper Award, 2013
- The EURASIP Athanasios Papoulis Award, 2016
- Rudbeck Gold Medal, 2016
- The IEEE Fourier Award for Signal Processing, 2018
- The C.F. Gauss Education Award of the IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2019
(out of 800 scientific papers and 30 books and book chapters)
- T. Söderström and P. Stoica, System Identification. Prentice-Hall, London, United Kingdom, 1989 (Paperback Edition 1994, Polish Edition 1997, Chinese Edition 2017). 
- P. Stoica and R. Moses, Introduction to Spectral Analysis. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, USA, 1997. available for download.
- P. Stoica and A. Nehorai, Music, Maximum likelihood and the Cramér-Rao bound. IEEE Trans. Acoustics, Speech, Signal Processing, vol. ASSP-37, 720–741, 1989.
- E Larsson and P Stoica,Space-Time Block Coding For Wireless Communications. Cambridge University Press, UK, 2003 (Chinese Edition, 2006).
- P Stoica and R Moses, Spectral Analysis of Signals. Prentice Hall, NJ, 2005 (Chinese Edition, 2007). available for download.
- H Sampath, P Stoica and A Paulraj, Generalized linear precoder and decoder design for MIMO channels using the weighted MMSE criterion. IEEE Trans Comm, vol 49, 2198–2206, 2001.
- A Scaglione, P Stoica, S Barbarossa, G Giannakis and H Sampath. Optimal designs for space-time linear precoders and decoders. IEEE Trans Signal Processing, vol 50, 1051–1064, 2002.
- J Li, P Stoica and Z Wang, On robust Capon beamforming and diagonal loading. IEEE Trans Signal Process, vol 51, 1702–1715, 2003.
- J Li and P Stoica, MIMO radar with colocated antennas: review of some recent work. IEEE Signal Processing Mag., 106–114, September, 2007.
- P. Stoica and A. Nehorai, Performance study of conditional and unconditional direction of arrival estimation. IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., vol. ASSP-38, 1783–1795, Oct. 1990.
Citation counts for the above publications can be found at: Google Scholar page.
- "Web Page".
- "EURASC Recent Elected Members". Archived from the original on 2012-04-05. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "12 top researchers in Sweden receive money from ERC". Archived from the original on 2013-06-15. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "ERC Advanced Grant: Peter Stoica". Archived from the original on 2013-06-16. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- (in Romanian) Membri de onoare din străinătate at the Romanian Academy site
- "Members of European Academy of Sciences".
- "IEEE Fellow members".
- "EURASIP Fellow Members".
- "IETI Fellow Members".
- "The world's most influential scientific minds" (PDF).
- ""ISI Highly Cited": a database of "highly cited researchers"". Archived from the original on 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "Google Scholar Page".
- "IEEE Signal Processing Society Best Paper Award (formerly known as the Senior Award)" (PDF).
- "IEEE Signal Processing Society Technical Achievement Award" (PDF).
- "IEEE W. R. G. Baker Prize Paper Award Recipients".
- "Technical Achievement Award".
- sv:Björkénska priset
- "Achievement Medal Recipients" (PDF).
- "IEEE Signal Processing Society Society Award" (PDF).
- "M. Barry Carlton Award".
- "Athanasios Papoulis Award".
- "Rudbeck Medal".
- "IEEE Fourier Award".
- "IEEE Signal Processing Society Carl Friedrich Gauss Education Award" (PDF).
- "List of Publications".
- Stoica, P.; Nehorai, Arye (1989). "MUSIC, maximum likelihood, and Cramer-Rao bound". IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. 37 (5): 720–741. doi:10.1109/29.17564.
- Sampath, H.; Stoica, P.; Paulraj, A. (2001). "Generalized linear precoder and decoder design for MIMO channels using the weighted MMSE criterion". IEEE Transactions on Communications. 49 (12): 2198–2206. doi:10.1109/26.974266.
- Scaglione, A.; Stoica, P.; Barbarossa, S.; Giannakis, G.B.; Sampath, H. (2002). "Optimal designs for space-time linear precoders and decoders". IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 50 (5): 1051–1064. Bibcode:2002ITSP...50.1051S. doi:10.1109/78.995062.
- Jian Li; Stoica, P.; Zhisong Wang (2003). "On robust capon beamforming and diagonal loading". IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. 51 (7): 1702–1715. Bibcode:2003ITSP...51.1702L. doi:10.1109/TSP.2003.812831.
- Li, Jian; Stoica, Petre (2007). "MIMO Radar with Colocated Antennas". IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. 24 (5): 106–114. Bibcode:2007ISPM...24..106L. doi:10.1109/MSP.2007.904812.
- Stoica, P.; Nehorai, A. (1990). "Performance study of conditional and unconditional direction-of-arrival estimation". IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing. 38 (10): 1783–1795. Bibcode:1990ITASS..38.1783S. doi:10.1109/29.60109.