Peter Strickland (director)
Peter Strickland in September 2018
|Born||21 May 1973|
Reading, Berkshire, England
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Peter Strickland is a British film director and screenwriter.
Early life and career
Strickland was born in 1973 to a Greek mother and British father, both teachers, and grew up in Reading, Berkshire, where he was a member of Progress Theatre, directing his own adaptation of The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. In 1997, his short film Bubblegum was entered in the Berlin Film Festival. He made a short version of what would become Berberian Sound Studio in 2005. For most of the last decade[when?], he has lived in eastern Europe.
His first feature, the low-budget rural revenge drama Katalin Varga, was financed by an inheritance from an uncle and filmed in Romania over a period of 17 days in 2006. His second, Berberian Sound Studio, is a psychological thriller set in a 1970s Italian horror film studio and starring Toby Jones. It was previewed at London FrightFest Film Festival in August 2012 and at the 2012 Edinburgh International Film Festival, where Robbie Collin of The Daily Telegraph described it as the "stand-out movie". In 2013, the film obtained the Best International Film Award at BAFICI. Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian has described Strickland’s latest film as marking his emergence as "a key British film-maker of his generation". His third feature, the chamber drama The Duke of Burgundy, was a homage to Jess Franco and stars Sidse Babett Knudsen and Chiara D'Anna.
- Bubblegum (short) (1996)
- A Metaphysical Education (short) (2004)
- Katalin Varga (2009)
- Berberian Sound Studio (2012)
- Björk: Biophilia Live (2014)
- The Duke of Burgundy (2014)
- The Field Guide To Evil (2018) (segment "The Cobblers' Lot")
- In Fabric (2018)
- 'Peter Strickland celebrates win at British Film Awards', 9 February 2010, retrieved 22 October 2013
- Bergan, Ronald (19 June 2009). "'Should I buy a flat in Bracknell or make a film in Transylvania?'". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Cummings, Basia. "Foley Cow! Berberian Sound Studio Director Peter Strickland Interviewed". The Quietus. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Leigh, Danny (23 August 2012). "Peter Strickland: 'I'm glad British film produces mainstream crowd-pleasers, but I don't want to make one'". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- French, Philip (2 September 2012). "Berberian Sound Studio – review". The Observer. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Collin, Robbie (28 June 2012). "Berberian Sound Studio, Edinburgh International Film Festival 2012, review". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "BAFICI 2013". Festivales de Buenos Aires. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- Bradshaw, Peter (1 September 2012). "Berberian Sound Studio – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Bradshaw, Peter (1 September 2012). "Exclusive Audio Interview: Peter Strickland talks Jess Franco and "THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY"". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter Strickland (director).|