Peter Malcolm Sumner-Potts|
29 January 1942
Waverley, New South Wales, Australia
22 November 2016 (aged 74)|
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Peter Malcolm Sumner-Potts (29 January 1942 – 22 November 2016), professionally known as Peter Sumner, was an Australian actor, director and writer. He was born in Sydney, Australia.
His credits include parts in such films as Color Me Dead (1969), Ned Kelly (1970), The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1978), The Survivor (1981) and Bush Christmas (1983), as well as a starring role in television series Spyforce along with his portrayal of Bill Hayden in The Dismissal. In an interview in 1978 for the Sir Joseph Banks High School newspaper, he revealed that he had an uncredited role off stage, controlling the Dianoga (garbage compactor monster) in Star Wars, as well as playing the role of Lieutenant Pol Treidum in that film. Sumner played Arnie in the first series of the British science fiction drama television series Jeopardy in 2002, filmed in Australia.
Other local television acting work included regular roles as Bruce Jefferson in Tickled Pink (1978–81), Phillip Seymour in All the Way (1988), Reverend Green in Cluedo (1992), and Les Bailey in Heartbreak High (1997–99), along with numerous guest roles in series including Homicide, Division 4, Matlock Police, Boney, The Sullivans, Cop Shop, Neighbours, The Flying Doctors and Home and Away.
Sumner was a follower of Meher Baba and directed a TV documentary, Baba's Birthday, shot in India, produced by Sensory Image, with music by Pete Townshend. The documentary follows Sumner's son, Luke Sumner, as he journeys to India in search of spiritual meaning.
He died after a long illness on 22 November 2016.
- They're a Weird Mob (1966) - Bit Part (uncredited)
- Color Me Dead (1969) - Stanley Phillips
- Ned Kelly (1970) - Tom Lloyd
- Star Wars (1977) - Lt. Pol Treidum (uncredited)
- The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith (1978) - Dowie Steed
- The King of the Two Day Wonder (1978)
- Middle Age Spread (1979) - Reg
- Run Rebecca, Run (1981) - Mr. Dimitros
- The Survivor (1981) - Tewson
- Bush Christmas (1983) - Ben Thompson
- Seeing Red (1992) - Gorman
- Ektopos (2011) - Zebediah
- Ryder Country (2012) - Professor Ed Woodman
- The Quarantine Hauntings (2015) - Dr. Henry Dickenson (final film role)