Peter Tyndall is the Ombudsman, Information Commissioner, and Commissioner for Environmental Information of Ireland. As Ombudsman, he is ex-officio member of four important statutory oversight bodies: the Commission for Public Service Appointments, the Referendum Commission, the Constituency Commission  and the Standards in Public Office Commission.
As Ombudsman Peter Tyndall has published a number of reports including:
'A Good Death'  (June 2014): a report into end of care life in Irish hospitals.
'Learning to Get Better'  (May 2015): an investigation into how public hospitals handle complaints
'Taking Stock'  (July 2017): an investigation into complaint handling and issues identified in complaints made about the Child and Family Agency (Tusla).
The reports made a number of recommendations which are being implemented. Follow-up reports to 'Learning to Get Better' and 'A Good Death' are planned for 2018.
Opportunity Lost  (November 2017) was an investigation into the administration of the Magdalen Restorative Justice Scheme ( a redress scheme for women who worked in Irish Magdalene laundries). The report was critical of how the Department of Justice and Equality administered the scheme. The Ombudsman's recommendations were initially rejected by the Department. However, in April 2018 the Minister of Justice and Equality, and the Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) announced that there would be full implementation of the Ombudsman's recommendations.
Tyndall is a Dubliner who has lived in Wales for more than 30 years where he occupied a variety of senior positions in housing and social care. He has also been Head of Education and Culture for the Welsh Local Government Association, Chief Executive of the Arts Council of Wales, and latterly the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales from 2008–13. He was Chairman of the British and Irish Ombudsman Association for two years, and is a member of the World and European Boards of the International Ombudsman Institute.
- "Members of the Commission". Commission for Public Service Appointments. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "About the Referendum Commission". Referendum Commission. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- "Constituency Commission Report 2017". Constituency Commission. Retrieved 6 July 2017.
- "Members of the Commission". Standards in Public Office Commission. Retrieved 19 March 2015.
- President appoints Peter Tyndall as Ombudsman and Information Commissioner The Office of the Ombudsman, 2013-12-02.
- President appoints Peter Tyndall as Ombudsman and Information Commissioner The Office of the Information Commissioner, 2013-12-02.
- Appointment of Mr Peter Tyndall as Ombudsman and Information Commissioner Archived 2013-12-13 at the Wayback Machine Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, 2013-12-02.
- "A Good Death". Office of the Ombudsman. June 2014.
- "Learning to Get Better". Office of the Ombudsman. May 2015.
- "Taking Stock". Office of the Ombudsman. July 2017.
- "Opportunity Lost". Office of the Ombudsman. November 2017.
- "Government plans to broaden Magdalene redress scheme welcomed". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "The International Ombudsman Institute - About". International Ombudsman Institute.
|This Irish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|