Peter Mann Winkler is a research mathematician, author of more than 125 research papers in mathematics and patent holder in a broad range of applications, ranging from cryptography to marine navigation. His research areas include discrete mathematics, theory of computation and probability theory. He is currently a Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science at Dartmouth College.
Peter Winkler studied mathematics at Harvard University and later received his PhD in 1975 from Yale University. He has also served as an Assistant Professor at Stanford, Full Professor and Chair at Emory and as a Mathematics Research Director at Bell Labs and Lucent Technologies.
He has published two books on mathematical puzzles: Mathematical Puzzles: A connoisseur's collection (A K Peters, 2004, ISBN 978-1-56881-201-4) and Mathematical Mind-Benders (A K Peters, 2007, ISBN 978-1-56881-336-3).
Paul Erdős anecdote
According to a story included in Chapter One of "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers / The Story of Paul Erdös and the Search for Mathematical Truth", Paul Erdős attended the bar mitzvah celebration for Peter Winkler's twins, and Winkler's mother-in-law tried to throw Erdős out. [Quote:]
"Erdös came to my twins' bar mitzvah, notebook in hand," said Peter Winkler, a colleague of Graham's at AT&T. "He also brought gifts for my children--he loved kids--and behaved himself very well. But my mother-in-law tried to throw him out. She thought he was some guy who wandered in off the street, in a rumpled suit, carrying a pad under his arm. It is entirely possible that he proved a theorem or two during the ceremony."
- Publication list from Winkler's home page at Dartmouth.
- Information listed on Peter Winkler's homepage at Dartmouth.
- Dartmouth mathematics faculty listing.
- Peter Winkler at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
- The Bridge World Bookstore Bridge at the Enigma Club by Peter Winkler
- The 2011 Master Point Press Book Of The Year Award 2014 IPBA Handbook, p. 176
- "Overhang", American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 116, January 2009 (Online)
"Maximum Overhang", American Mathematical Monthly, vol. 116, December 2009 (Online)
- Hoffman, Paul. "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers / The Story of Paul Erdös and the Search for Mathematical Truth". "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" was published in hardcover by: Hyperion Books and a later edition was published by The New York Times Book Company. ISBN 0-7868-6362-5. Archived from the original on November 10, 2017. Retrieved November 23, 2017.