||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
24 January 1956 |
London, England, United Kingdom
|Alma mater||Royal Academy of Dramatic Art|
Peter Woodward (born 24 January 1956) is an English actor, stuntman and screenwriter. He is probably best known for his role as Galen in the Babylon 5 spin-offs Babylon 5: A Call to Arms, Crusade and Babylon 5: The Lost Tales. He is also known for his role as British Royal Army Brigadier General Charles O'Hara in The Patriot.
Woodward was born in London, the son of actors Venetia Mary Collett (also known as Venetia Barrett) and Edward Woodward. His brother Tim and sister Sarah are also actors. He was educated at Haileybury and Imperial Service College before attending the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).
After graduation, he joined the Royal Shakespeare Company, starring in many of their productions including Winter's Tale, Comedy of Errors and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Woodward has also played a wide range of major character roles in films and television including the role of the German Captain Stossel in the feature film The Brylcreem Boys.
As the Techno Mage Galen in the Babylon 5 spin-off Crusade, Woodward played opposite his father in the episode "The Long Road." In the episode, the Excalibur visits a planet that may contain a potent anti-viral agent in its minerals. Earth agencies are strip-mining the planet. Edward Woodward played Alwyn, a rogue Techno Mage living on the planet with its inhabitants who was a friend of Galen's former teacher.
As a former member of the British Academy of Dramatic Combat, Woodward is known in the film industry for his work as a fight arranger. Woodward's dramatic combat training inspired him to study historical weaponry and combat techniques. This interest ultimately led him to create, co-write, and host The History Channel's documentary series Conquest, a hands-on showcase of weapons, training and combat techniques throughout history. The series ran from 2002–2005 and, as of February 2007, it is occasionally still shown in reruns.
Woodward works a post-production supervisor, writing the additional dialogue recording for films including: Columbus – 1492, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Scarlet Tunic, Les Misérables and Dangerous Obsessions (1998).
Branching out in the late 1990s, Woodward and his father formed Tripal Productions, for which he wrote and produced his first feature film The House of Angelo, directed by Jim Goddard in 1997 with his father in the starring role as "Angelo". Woodward also wrote the feature film Closing the Ring which was directed by Richard Attenborough.
- Space Dogs Adventure to the Moon (2016) .... Dr. Cat
- The Comedian's Guide to Survival (2016) .... Morris
- Awaiting (2015) .... Jerry
- The Crypt (2014) .... Father Antonio
- Postman Pat: The Movie (2014) .... Edwin Carbunkle
- Dead Space: Aftermath (2011) .... Lead Interrogator
- Eagleheart (2011) .... Doolan
- NCIS (TV series) (2010) .... David Devoisier
- Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2010–2011) .... Ra's al Ghul
- Fringe (2009) .... August (Observer 2)
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2008) .... Palace Security Guard
- Babylon 5: The Lost Tales (direct-to-video) (2007) .... Galen
- Stargate: Atlantis (TV series) (2005) .... Otho
- The True Story of Alexander the Great (TV documentary) (2005) .... Host
- Charmed (TV series) (2004–2005) .... Aku
- Charmed (TV series) (2002, 2005) .... The Source
- Conquest (TV series) (2002) .... Himself
- Egypt Land of the Gods (TV documentary) (2002) .... Host
- Masada (TV documentary) (2002) .... Host
- Puckoon (2002) .... Col. Martin
- Run for the Money aka Hard Cash (2002) .... FBI Agent Jarvis
- Egypt Beyond the Pyramids (TV documentary) (2001) .... Host
- Walker, Texas Ranger (TV series) (2001) .... Victor Drake
- The Patriot (2000) .... British Royal Army Brigadier General Charles O'Hara
- Crusade (TV series) (1999) .... Galen
- Babylon 5: A Call to Arms (1999) .... Galen
- The Brylcreem Boys (1998)
- The House of Angelo (1997)
- Gadgetman (1996) (TV)
- Past Into Present (1996)
- In Search of Hamlet (1995)
- The Chief (1994)
- Pirates (1994/I) TV Series
- Who Dealt? (1993) (TV)
- Metal Skin Panic Madox-01 (1987) (V) (voice)
- Deceptions (1985)(TV)
- The Professionals, Man Called Quinn (1983)
- Fanny by Gaslight (1981) (TV)
- Sense and Sensibility (1981) (TV)
- Testament of Youth (1979) (TV)
- The Comedy of Errors (1978/I) (TV)
- "Peter Woodward Biography (1958–)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved 6 June 2009.