Petersfield railway station
|Location||Petersfield, East Hampshire|
|Coordinates||51°00′25″N 0°56′28″W / 51.007°N 0.941°W|
|Managed by||South Western Railway|
|Platforms||2 (was 4)|
|Classification||DfT category C2|
Passenger statistics from the Office of Rail and Road
Petersfield railway station serves the market town of Petersfield, Hampshire, England. It is on the Portsmouth Direct line, 54 miles 71 chains (88.3 km) down the line from London Waterloo via Woking.
The station has two tracks, and two platforms, although in the past had a third platform branching into the coal yard situated adjacent to the station and a fourth platform on the north side of the level crossing serving the branch to Midhurst closed in 1955. The main buildings date back to the opening of the line in 1859 and are of a "town" type, larger than other wayside stations on the route but identical to Godalming. The signal box, situated by the level crossing at the north-east end of the station, is an LSWR Type 3a box and a Grade II listed building.
There used to be a halt between Petersfield and Rowlands Castle, to the south of Buriton Tunnel, called Woodcroft. It was built to serve the local naval establishment. Because of its naval nature it was not featured on many maps, some maps however did mark it by a little tab but without a name.
All services at Petersfield are operated by South Western Railway using Class 444 and 450 EMUs.
The typical off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 3 tph to London Waterloo via Guildford (2 semi-fast, 1 stopping)
- 1 tph to Portsmouth & Southsea (all stations)
- 2 tph to Portsmouth Harbour (semi-fast)
The station is also served by a single evening service to Southampton Central.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Liss or Haslemere||South Western Railway
||Rowlands Castle or Havant|
Line and station open
Line open, station closed
- ^ Yonge, John (November 2008) . Jacobs, Gerald (ed.). Railway Track Diagrams 5: Southern & TfL (3rd ed.). Bradford on Avon: Trackmaps. map 26B. ISBN 978-0-9549866-4-3.
- ^ Historic England (18 September 2013). "Petersfield signal box (Grade II) (1415912)". National Heritage List for England.
- ^ Table 156 National Rail timetable, May 2020
- Train times and station information for Petersfield railway station from National Rail